PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using lxde on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS server and resolving minor fixes

c_xy
August 14th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Hello,

We currently have lxde installed on Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS server.

It is working okay, but there are some minor bug issues we are trying to resolve.

When I try using the update manager, I type:

gksudo update-manager

The window appears, I apply the updates and then exit. After exiting I get the following output:

debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
debconf: (Can't locate Gtk2.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Gtk2 module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.18.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.18.2 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.18 /usr/share/perl/5.18 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 91.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog
debconf: (Can't locate Gtk2.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Gtk2 module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.18.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.18.2 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.18 /usr/share/perl/5.18 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 91.)

Also, If I use gedit

gedit &

I receive the following output:

** (gedit:8029): WARNING **: Could not load theme icon user-bookmarks-symbolic: Icon 'user-bookmarks-symbolic' not present in theme

** (gedit:8029): WARNING **: Could not load theme icon user-home-symbolic: Icon 'user-home-symbolic' not present in theme

** (gedit:8029): WARNING **: Could not load theme icon drive-harddisk-symbolic: Icon 'drive-harddisk-symbolic' not present in theme

Not sure what is going on here. I don't know if this output is preventing me from doing anything. It hasn't yet. But, is this a sign of a bigger issue that needs attention. Is there a way to avoid this output. I recall in 10.04 there was a way to avoid seeing these Warnings as output. Is there a similar workaround for these issues in Ubuntu 14.04?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

c

Bucky Ball
August 14th, 2015, 07:52 PM
May I ask why you're launching update-manager in a terminal to update? Why not directly from the terminal?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

... will update and upgrade your current install to where it needs to be. It will NOT upgrade your release to a newer release.

Doesn't fix your issue, but throwing it in and bumping your thread in the process.

Do you boot to the lxde desktop? Or are you booting to a cursor? If the former, can't you get to the update manager via the applications menu? What happens if you do? If the latter, you are launching a GUI when there is no desktop running and maybe it is having issues closing the update-manager when finished because of it. Wild guess. :-k

c_xy
August 14th, 2015, 09:59 PM
May I ask why you're launching update-manager in a terminal to update? Why not directly from the terminal?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

... will update and upgrade your current install to where it needs to be. It will NOT upgrade your release to a newer release.

The main reason I launch update-manager is because....well..we've always installed updates this way. But more importantly, we've manually installed a nvidia driver and we have to pay close attention to what updates are installed.

Doesn't fix your issue, but throwing it in and bumping your thread in the process.

Do you boot to the lxde desktop? Or are you booting to a cursor? If the former, can't you get to the update manager via the applications menu? What happens if you do? If the latter, you are launching a GUI when there is no desktop running and maybe it is having issues closing the update-manager when finished because of it. Wild guess. :-k

We boot to an lxde desktop.

This is the weird thing, I can't access the update manager (software updater) via the applications menu. I am a sudo user. However, it says I don't have required privileges to perform this action. Is something new with 14.04? Or lxde? When I used 10.04 Gnome DE in the past, I could access update-manager via the applications window with no problems. Now, I can't do that at all despite having sudo privileges with 14.04 and lxde. This is why I've been forced to use the gksudo commands.

c