PDA

View Full Version : What printer do you have?

markodd
August 14th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Hey,

I'm looking to buy a new printer (multifunction, that is, printer+scanner+copier) and since I'm a Ubuntu user I was wondering what my best options are, when it comes to support.

So, what printer do you have and how does it work with Ubuntu?

stalkingwolf
August 14th, 2015, 04:56 PM
I have always used HP printers. currently i have an hp 1510

help_me2
August 14th, 2015, 06:29 PM
HP is the most linux compatible. Just plug and play. I have the HP Deskjet 1000.

mystics
August 14th, 2015, 07:26 PM
I have a Canon MP280. It isn't really fancy, but it has worked well enough. It worked right when I plugged it in, and I haven't had any issues with printing and scanning.

Habitual
August 14th, 2015, 08:54 PM
I haz 2 HP devices.
HP Laserjet 2035 printer and an HP Scanjet G4050 scanner.

Both are flawless on

Host: my-kungfu Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.11.8 Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca

LM 17.x is based off of Ubuntu 14.04.

portalhavoc
August 14th, 2015, 09:05 PM
I have an HP printer as well. It's an HP LaserJet 4050 TN made in 1999. Despite it's age, It has worked exceptionally well on all of the operating systems I have tried. Even Ubuntu. ;)

Welly Wu
August 14th, 2015, 10:02 PM
I recently purchased a new Hewlett Packard OfficeJet 4630.

1. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hp+officejet+4630

I installed the HPLIP software package and it instantly recognized it. It is a printer, scanner, copier, and a fax machine in one. I tested almost all of the features and it just works with Ubuntu 14.04.3 64 bit LTS GNU/Linux right out of the box. I chose Hewlett Packard because of the Ubuntu compatibility and this model is the baseline product in the current HP OfficeJet family that is affordably priced. HP has a special monthly subscription service where you can pay between $2.99 USD up to $9.99 USD and they will send you genuine HP 61 black and color cartridges when your printer runs low on ink periodically which they claim can save you up to 50% off the MSRP of genuine HP 61 ink cartridges if you were to purchase them yourself from an authorized retailer. This offer only applies to specific HP printers and it is not available for all of their products and models.

I also got these hotcolor HP 61 XL black and color ink cartridges:

2. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P78NGW4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

They do just work right out of the box with the HP OfficeJet 4630. It's as simple as plug and play. These are the high yield ink cartridges so they are a slightly better value than the standard HP 61 ink cartridges because they can print more pages.

I am an Amazon Prime and Kindle Unlimited subscriber so I paid $100.54 USD with free two day shipping for my products. There were no New Jersey sales taxes for some unknown reason.

pfeiffep
August 14th, 2015, 10:09 PM
HP Photosmart c6280 ... Direct connect to my router so I can print from MAC, Windows, and Ubuntu wirelessly

PhilGil
August 14th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Epson WorkForce 545 (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=C11CB88201) all-in-one. No problems with printing. For scanning, the feeder doesn't work with Simple Scan, so I use the panel controls and save to a memory card or use the Epson scanning software (which is available for Linux).

YuiDaoren
August 14th, 2015, 10:51 PM
HP Officejet 4500 G510n-z over wi-fi.

HP's Linux support is fabulous.

monkeybrain20122
August 15th, 2015, 12:57 AM
Anyone has an affordable 3d printer that works with Ubuntu? Just curious.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
August 15th, 2015, 12:58 AM
HP Deskjet F4480
i normal just go with the cheapest HP printer i can
edit:
@monkeybrain20122
define affordable

monkeybrain20122
August 15th, 2015, 01:08 AM
@monkeybrain20122
define affordable

Well I don't really know the ongoing price, probably under $600 or $800, or just tell us how much you pay for it and let the readers decide. :)

craige2
August 16th, 2015, 12:09 AM
A year ago I was on market for printer as well.

Discount, cheap and on store for pick up. That was Cannon PIXMA MG 3250 series.

I checked if the drivers are included in the list of printers. Settings-Printer-Add printer-Manual.

Since the driver's was on the list, I just went back on store and bought it.

No idea if what I did was either good or bad approach, but I'm glad it turned out working, hehe.

Best of luck mate.

Old_Printer
August 16th, 2015, 02:03 AM
I have a HP LaserJet 1320. It's from about 2005. I have it connected to (this) my Internet machine running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS via serial cable. The USB port on the printer goes to a Windows machine so that I can print from that one as well. I use networking in my shop, but sometimes simple things are the simplest. I never print from both machines at the same time so I haven't experienced any tangle. :) The driver to run the 1320 was either included in the Ubuntu install or it downloaded from their server. I don't know enough about Ubuntu to tell just yet.

The printer test page doesn't say PCL or PS like you'd find in Windows, but it works. I usually install PS drivers so that I can control gradients and such, but for Internet use, the PXLMONO.PPD driver that installed, in just seconds, works great.

Old_Printer

kurt18947
August 16th, 2015, 02:11 AM
In addition to HP, my experience is that Brother & Samsung seem pretty linux friendly. Some claim that Samsung duplex printing doesn't work in *nix. Mine does, I suspect it's a matter of enabling duplex printing in software. The default seems to be single sided in most apps. I was able to snag the Samsung monochrome laser MFD off Newegg's flash sale site for <$100.

If considering a hardware purchase for use on a linux machine, it seems like a reasonable idea to go to the manufacturer's web site and check in the support section for linux support.

michael-piziak
August 16th, 2015, 06:00 AM
Hey,

I'm looking to buy a new printer (multifunction, that is, printer+scanner+copier) and since I'm a Ubuntu user I was wondering what my best options are, when it comes to support.

So, what printer do you have and how does it work with Ubuntu?

I honestly believe that HP printers are the best option. There is even an HP printer program in the Ubuntu Software center. My sister bought a new HP printer that is also a scanner, and it works great after getting the thing from the Ubuntu software center.

But I have an old "brother" laser printer (just prints black/white, and it works pretty darn good with my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

kerry_s
August 16th, 2015, 06:11 AM
epson xp-410

have to install drivers from the repo then it works perfectly over wifi. i also have it setup on google print.

howefield
August 16th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Epson PX720WD using the driver downloaded from the Epson website.

Affordable, works perfectly and runs compatible ink cartridges without issue. It's now a few years old so probably not available any more and not sure what the current "equivalent" model would be.. hope this one goes for a few more years :)

SeijiSensei
August 16th, 2015, 02:19 PM
I got so annoyed with my HP Photosmart refusing to print because the cartridges were "out-of-date" that I dumped it and bought a Brother HL-3170CDW (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQU141C). I didn't need an all-in-one, though Brother makes those as well. I found installation was pretty easy using the "Driver Install Tool" found on the Brother website. We don't print photos, so I just wanted a "laser-class" color printer, and this does the job very well.

Wild_Duck66
August 16th, 2015, 11:54 PM
I use an Epson XP-215 multi function wireless printer (£45 from Argos a few months ago). I use an ethernet cable for my desktop computer (******* 7/Linux Mint 17) and wifi for my Laptop (vista/Linux Mint 17) and Android Tablets. I use 7dayshop.com compatible cartridges (BB-T1816-Slim - more ink than Epson) and I know the XP-315 also works without problem.

Kale_Freemon
August 17th, 2015, 04:36 PM
HP DeskJet 3510 series is what I use. It's a printer, copier, and scanner all in one. It's also wireless, but sucks over the wireless. Works great on Linux though!

Mike_Walsh
August 17th, 2015, 08:25 PM
I know the general consensus of opinion on here tends to be to go for HPs, but I myself am a long-term Epson user. Currently running an Epson SX218 all-in-one (the SX series are the little brothers to the big, professional WorkForce series, and, in fact, use the same drivers). To be fair, having said that, Epson seem to have about half-a-dozen or so drivers to cover the literally hundreds of different models they've produced over the years.

From the day I began with Linux, I've has absolutely no problems with it; it works perfectly. The only peculiarity is that you have to install printer and scanner drivers separately; and for the scanner, to install a data file, before you install the scanner driver.....because the driver needs what's in the data file to function at all.

I find the drivers from Epson's download site work fine; just make sure you get the right ones for your CPU architecture. There's even a utility available for your ink levels.

I will just add this; Epson don't advertise the fact that they provide Linux drivers. The company line seems to be one of 'We don't do Linux drivers'.....but they are there; seek, and ye shall ​indeed find..! :lol:

(Actually, they 'inherited' the whole kit & caboodle from a Japanese company called Avasys.....but that's a whole 'nother story.....)

Regards,

Mike. ;)

Wild_Duck66
August 19th, 2015, 12:05 AM
I use Turboprint on Linux Mint for my Epson XP-215, it's worth the money.

hunterkasy
August 19th, 2015, 06:15 AM
I use and love HP_LaserJet_CP1525nw it's a middle quality laser printer. but I love it, selling on Amazon for around $400 I bought mine on craigslist for $5 with half the toners full

Wadim_Korneev
August 23rd, 2015, 09:18 AM
I have a Canon MX892. DH bought it for me. So far I'm happy with it, especially after I figured out how to change the ink setting.

It seems to work great! Can't help you with how much it cost. DH knows how to get deals and shops around.

uwe-bungto
August 23rd, 2015, 01:28 PM
I have used HP printers for what seems to be as long as I have had a computer, laser printers, all in ones. When I had the laser in Germany I was printing maybe 1000+ pages a month, if I required service it was there and was 5 star. I bought refilled extra capacity cartages for about 1/3 the price of the OEM. There as no difference in quality. I closed the company moved to Canada and bought an All In One from a local HP dealer. Looking back it was over priced $600+. I had trouble with it, dealer never responded. Called HP and to scrap it and buy a new one. I bought a low end All In One online from HP. This was the time that HP switched from selling printers to selling refills as their main source of revenue. The refills are about the same price as replacing the printer. Costco had a special on refill for that model so I bought 4, Super deal; think again. The refills were time dated and were near their expiry date and the last 2 refused to function. I tried buying refilled ones, their operation was hit or miss at the best of times.

Two years ago I refused to pay the ridiculous price for the refills and gave the HP and bought an Epson Workforce 3540 direct from Epson, from a shop in Quebec I bought a #127 refill kit for $50, refillable cartages, 4 oz bottles of the 3 colours and an 8oz bottle of black. Refills now cost about $2.

In the end Cannon, HP, Epson are all good printers; find out which one will have the lowest operating cost. The hype from the printer companies that if you do not use their ink your printer will not function properly or the print quality will suffer. THAT is Pure Crap. A friend of mine prints and sells his photos, he buys ink from the same company I do, he told me about it.

stoneageman2
August 23rd, 2015, 07:00 PM
I recently bought a Brother A3 scanner printer fax machine. MFC-J6520DW. Using over wireless & no problems (not tried faxing). Used Brothers driver install tool from their site.

sonicwind
November 8th, 2015, 11:17 PM
I print everything to PDF and e-mail it to my local UPS Store. It's only a few blocks away and they usually have it printed quicker (usually 15-45 minutes) than if I used their online upload system. The cost is low and I save a bunch avoiding the costs of ink cartridges.

rewyllys
November 9th, 2015, 02:17 AM
A month and a half ago, I replaced my 12-year-old Brother MFC-8820D because it had quit copying, though it still printed and received faxes.

My new machine is a Brother MFC-8910DW, which is running beautifully and is noticeably faster than my 8820D. And, yes, I used the Brother installation program for Linux, which is available on the Brother Website. The installation went flawlessly.

michael-piziak
November 9th, 2015, 05:08 AM
I have a Brother TN-330 (or TN-330 is the toner it takes). It's a black only laser printer, don't need color.

Years ago, when I had like Ubuntu 10 or 11, it was extremely difficult to get Ubuntu to recognize it.

But now, with Ubuntu 12.04 lts and up, as soon as you install the Ubuntu, it knows the printer.

Laser Printers are the way to go in my opinion for the amount of paper you can print for the cost of a remanufactured toner.

This printer does have a little mind of it's own on occassion. Like you tell it to print on occassion, and it will print it, but on rare occassion when you reboot the computer - but it always delivers EVENTUALLY - LOL. Seriously, most the time it works just fine.

I buy all HP products (desktops, notebooks), as they have high quality components like Segate drives, etc.... I would get an HP laser black printer if I had to do over - no use to waste all that $ on the color laster printer unless you're into printing photos or something.

Michael

p.s. Don't know about support - never called Brother or been to their page.

SantaFe
November 9th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Got me one of these, any chance there's any Xubuntu drivers for it? :D

Dragonbite
November 9th, 2015, 08:22 PM
I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600, which is wireless, and it works great for me. It is similar to this (http://www.amazon.com/HP-Officejet-Premium-Wireless-Printer/dp/B005O55U4C/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1447096892&sr=1-1&keywords=hp+officejet+8700+plus), but I don't have the extra paper tray along the bottom (which would be handy, though..) Windows and Linux use it, plus cloud printing (via Chrome browser or Chrome OS). Ubuntu sees it automatically, while openSUSE I had to put in the IP address and then it found it. Once found, it downloads the drivers and is ready to go.

I haven't tried scanning to the computer with it yet, but it allows you to set up network folders where it will scan to (even with a password PIN number) and I grab the scannings from there. Plus it can handle other featuers (print from SD card, save to USB, etc.).

I have it set for draft quality because it's good enough for most circumstances, prints very fast and uses less ink.

This printer has worked so well, my wife rarely uses her HP LaserJet 100 MFP because it's slower, the quality has been questionable and it isn't the easiest to set up with Linux.

Dragonbite
November 9th, 2015, 08:35 PM
Got me one of these, any chance there's any Xubuntu drivers for it? :D

Heck, do you have a port to plug it into?! :)

robboguy
November 12th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Canon Pixma MG2450. Works like a charm, unfortunately Sane doesn't speak to it, however you can use its own scanning software for Linux from Canon, which is quite ugly but works.

kostkon
November 12th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Ancient HP DeskJet 840C.

bruakerche
November 13th, 2015, 07:11 AM
I am stick to HP printers for years and the current one is HP8600

Irihapeti
November 14th, 2015, 12:43 AM
I use a HP Officejet 5610, approaching 9 years old.

him610
November 15th, 2015, 12:20 AM
Hello,

I have a Dell 1700n mono laser printer that prints using ubuntu without issues for the past 7 or 8 years; I also have used, for the last couple of years, a Brother multi-function MFC7360n that works quite well. You can down download the Linux drivers from the Brother website. Both of these printers are wired network printers accessible from every device (wired or wireless) on my home network.

bcschmerker
November 17th, 2015, 07:56 AM
I currently have two printers on the Hot Rod gPC™. First one is a Panasonic®/Matsushita KX-P1124i dot-matrix on /dev/lp0; it's rigged for 9-1/2"x11" fanfold intended for logging purposes, although I'm stumped to date on how to build the parallel-port functions into a custom-compile of any of Kernel 3.13-up. Second one is a Hewlett-Packard® Photosmart™ 1115 inkjet on /dev/usb004, slated to be replaced by the same vendor's OfficeJet® 7111 or 7612 when finances allow (as I've need for 9-12"x13" sheet for music parts, or 13"x19" for full scores). My dream printer is actually a brand not often encountered without professional offices: The XEROX® Phaser® series (orig. manufactured by Tektronix Corporation), many high-volume models of which are built, quite literally, around 10/100-BaseTX Ethernet and Adobe Systems PostScript 3.n.

Kale_Freemon
November 17th, 2015, 11:00 AM
I picked out an HP DeskJet 3512 for the family printer. It's a wireless All-In-One. Picked it out over a year ago as a printer that would work under both Windows and Ubuntu. Works 100% under Ubuntu and was easy to setup. I love the support of HP printers under Ubuntu, and the fact that HP makes decent printers at a decent price, so much that I helped my girlfriend pick out her new HP printer.

I forgot the model number of hers, but it was a cheaper one with a scanner. Non wireless. But we plugged it into the MacBook I gave her, which runs Ubuntu 15.10 exclusively, and it recognized and installed it automatically. All I had to do afterwards was download the HP software from the Software Center and she was on her way to printing out pictures of her daughter.

The support of HP printers under Ubuntu is actually one of the reasons I no longer keep Windows around, unless I'm just playing with a new release for a day or two for fun.

Skaperen
November 17th, 2015, 11:27 AM
i no longer have a printer. i still have some paper left over. but i have found so little use for paper (clutters up the house). with the nice LCD monitor of these days i can read my code on the screen.