PDA

View Full Version : How did GParted know of my Ubuntu wallpaper?

H.E. Pennypacker
August 4th, 2006, 04:06 AM
I inserted my GParted CD into my laptop, and while waiting for it to load, it briefly showed my Ubuntu wallpaper. This happened on two occassions.

How could it possibly have known what my Ubuntu wallpaper was when Ubuntu wasn't even on?

Keep in mind that I turned off the laptop, turned it back on, and booted the GParted CD. I can't find an explanation for how GParted could have done this.

Strange...anyone know? Btw, this is not a support thread. I am not asking for support.

PapaWiskas
August 4th, 2006, 04:20 AM
I have wondered the same thing, similar experiences, I just thought it was me having flashbacks or something.

3rdalbum
August 4th, 2006, 04:43 AM
This has something to do with your graphics card, I think.

When my iMac crashes, running Ubuntu or Mac OS when there's a screen image (and not just text), the image flashes up onto the screen very quickly when I next start up. This is just when the screen turns on, before the computer even finds the operating system.

I have had the same thing happen on my x86 computer once. It seems to happen when Xorg starts up.

Polygon
August 4th, 2006, 06:11 AM
im guessing that its just some temporary files or memory thats somewhere in your computer.. (hard drive, video card?) that is getting displayed right before its purged for whatever commands it recieves next from the cpu.

kostkon
August 6th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Yes, maybe some contents of the memory of the video card are being shown before the memory is fed with new content on startup.

H.E. Pennypacker
September 4th, 2006, 01:35 AM
I am somewhat uneasy about this, because if something like the wallpaper is "laying around," what else could be? What if it's important information?

I am sure its not Ubuntu's fault. Maybe something's wrong with my laptop.

The Noble
September 4th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Anything else "laying around" is only in the buffer of what seems like your graphics card. In that case, if someone is EXTREMELY skilled they could get maybe a few pictures from before you shut down. I would be much more concerned about someone stealing your HD/Computer and taking the information that spending quite a bit of time on a few pictures of you desktop -- if even that. If you want safety give your bios a password and encrypt your hard drive. Then no one will get anything from you.