PDA

View Full Version : Fresh install of ubuntu 14.04 and opening windows is very slow

glen8
August 14th, 2015, 04:59 AM
Hi,
I just installed 14.04 on an old Dell that had xp on it. Problem is after it was installed every time I click on something the window opens and closes very slow (fps). the computer has an intel video driver. I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. Thanks!

QIII
August 14th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Hello!

Could you give us the hardware specifications of the machine?

If the machine is old enough, it may simply not be up to the task of running Unity, in which case a lighter flavor like Xubuntu or Lubuntu might be more appropriate.

Bucky Ball
August 14th, 2015, 05:13 AM
Welcome. Please open a terminal and type or copy/paste this:

sudo lshw -C video

Hit return and post the output here between code tags, thanks (see the last link in my signature).

PS: Ninja-ed by QIII! :)

If the machine is old enough, it may simply not be up to the task of running Unity, in which case a lighter flavor like Xubuntu or Lubuntu might be more appropriate.

^^^
This.

glen8
August 14th, 2015, 05:34 AM
Don't know the specs. Actually posting from a different pc. I'll attach a pic of the dell. It might be too old.

Bucky Ball
August 14th, 2015, 05:41 AM
Please see post #3 and post the results thanks. A picture is not much help. You can also run:

lspci

... and that will give us all the specs. There will be a model number on the back of the box also.

We can only provide support on the strength of the information you give us and a photo of an old computer doesn't give us much. :)

QIII
August 14th, 2015, 06:01 AM
Looks like an Optiplex GX260 SFF. If it is:

P4 @ 2.4GHz
512MB RAM
40GB HDD
Integrated Intel graphics, probably very weak.

It will almost certainly struggle to even start Unity. I'd go for Lubuntu. But even with that it will not be a speed demon.

Vintage around 2000 - 2004.

glen8
August 14th, 2015, 06:02 AM
Model dhp
2003 computer

QIII
August 14th, 2015, 06:08 AM
DHP refers to a range of models in the GX series.

If you can get us the official specs as Bucky Ball has asked, we can be more specific. In any case, it is not going to be up to Unity.

glen8
August 14th, 2015, 06:11 AM
what if I upgrade the ram?

QIII
August 14th, 2015, 06:14 AM
That will do very little, if any, good with getting Unity to run. Unity as a graphics-heavy Desktop Environment (DE). It requires a relatively modern graphics adapter.

You really need a lighter DE or even a Window Manager (Enlightenment is nice) instead.

As I said, Lubuntu would be a good place to start. The LXDE DE might be light enough.

glen8
August 14th, 2015, 06:21 AM
just started the lubuntu install. Thanks for the help!

QIII
August 14th, 2015, 06:23 AM
Let us know how it goes. We can find a lighter option, like a WM, if need be. There are also some very light weight Ubuntu-based distros out there, like Bodhi Linux.

glen8
August 14th, 2015, 06:26 AM
never heard of those. Thanks again. I appreciate it

Bucky Ball
August 14th, 2015, 06:50 AM
Let us know how you go. 512mb of RAM will probably not be the greatest computing experience, even if you manage to get it installed and booting. RAM would help that, but as QIII says, your options are limited re. graphics and therefore desktop environment. :)

With Ubuntu and a couple of Gb of RAM (or even one at a pinch) you should get along fine.

PS: If Lubuntu is still sluggish, you can go one step lighter with the Lubuntu-mini (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/MinimalInstall). Trickier to install but may improve the situation. Good luck.