PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB flash install does not work

Sn00ze
August 13th, 2015, 05:24 AM
Hi all, I spent the entire day trying to install Ubuntu to my unused machine with XP on the C drive and a second empty drive which I would like to place Ubuntu on as a dual system. For some reason the UUI tool to setup the ISO transfer to my USB stick is not working, all I get is a dash and nothing happens, earlier with another file system format it gave an error that I can't remember off hand but it was that name mangling mentioned in so many posts saying to change the names of three files on the ISO or flash disc after it is transferred .. I tried that this afternoon and still no love, if my memory serves me right I had issues last year with this very same problem same machine, I finally had to go buy disc and put a system on disc to install. So in a nutshell why won't the USB work ..
My system is booting from the USB as it should, I also tried a debian net install which I get the same thing using the USB stick. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

mörgæs
August 13th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Please post the exact error messages you get.

grahammechanical
August 13th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Also the version of Ubuntu you are trying to install. And the specification of the XP machine. With machines that old the graphic adapter and the amount of its own memory become an important factor. And how far the installation process gets.

If that machine does not have the minimum specification for runiing Ubuntu you will be better off going with Xubuntu or Lubuntu or Ubuntu Mate from the start. If the live session runs and you are able to select install Ubuntu do not tick the box labelled Install third party software. That will bring in a proprietary video driver and the newer proprietary video driver that you will get may not have support for your graphic adapter.

There are so many unknowns about your problem.