PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] do not know which package to install

nir_ben_harush
August 12th, 2015, 05:01 AM
Hi,
I hope it is the right place to raise my question.
I am learning to program in python 3 and I was recommended to use the IDLE environment.
I looked in the Software Center and there were few IDLE options for IDLE for python 3.
My question is: which one I should download and use.
any recommendation will be warmly accepted.
Thank you in advance.
Nir

dino99
August 12th, 2015, 09:51 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PowerUsersProgramming

Topsiho
August 12th, 2015, 03:38 PM
I used to try IDLE(3), but for some reason I dropped that.
Probably because I am quite happy to code the programs using gedit, and to run them from the terminal:

python3 (<programname>.py (I use python3, if you use python2 then just type python)

Have to tell that my programs are not very big, solving rather simple mathematical programs (such as input, compute, output :), in which the complications are in the compute part).

The terminal must be used in the same directory as the python program, and the non-native modules that you use.

The reason I quit using IDLE, is, I think I remember now, it did not recognise ' ' and/or "" suddenly, making it unusable (using US Keyboard, Int'l (dead keys))

Success,

Topsiho

mystics
August 12th, 2015, 07:59 PM
From what I know, the main IDLE is still based on Python 2.7. If you want to learn Python 3, get the Python 3.4 IDLE. It is the most updated version and won't potentially run into issues given the syntax differences between Python 2 and Python 3.

However, as someone who programs a lot in Python (I use it for hobbies, school, and work), I will say that you don't have to use IDLE. It may be the more official Python IDE, but plenty of text editors and IDEs work with Python. Personally, I use gedit, and with the Intelligent Text Completion plugin, it does a good job of syntax highlighting and automating things like indentations. Just be sure that it is set to recognize that you are typing in Python. This occurs automatically if you open a .py file, but you can set it to Python (or Python 3) from an unnamed file using the toolbar at the bottom (by default, it will probably be set to Plain Text).

morbo2
August 14th, 2015, 06:43 PM
I will go with my python version

If I have python 3.3 then i'll use the IDLE for 3.3
python 3.4 then I'll use the IDLE for 3.4

So far that are the only 2 I can find in the software centre search
It would probably be a good idea to update your python to the newest version since you are new to python 3.X and both 3.3 and 3.4 make no difference to you. They are all new to you~