PDA

View Full Version : [Linux Mint 17.2] latest driver installed, can't enable Nvidia GPU

hawkzy2
August 10th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Edit: made a new post in the Mint forum http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2290244

I installed the xorg-edgers PPA listed in this guide http://www.binarytides.com/install-nvidia-drivers-ubuntu-14-04/ and applied the latest driver version (352.30) via the Driver Manager. (I checked the nvidia website for which version to use for my card.) But then when I go to enable the card via the Nvidia X Server Settings, it gives me a blank error popup, and then reverts back to using the (CPU-integrated) Intel GPU after closing it.

I've also spent the past day and a half trying to get this card (GT 740) to work properly on Debian 8.1. I played around with the drivers and Xorg and ended up reinstalling Debian several times in the process, while finding no solution and deciding to switch to Mint for better compatibility. I do, however, like Debian quite a bit more so if anyone happens to have a solution for that problem I can supply some more details about those issues. (Though I am perfectly fine using Mint)

Ideas?

hawkzy2
August 10th, 2015, 10:28 PM
I installed the xorg-edgers PPA listed in this guide http://www.binarytides.com/install-n...-ubuntu-14-04/ (http://www.binarytides.com/install-nvidia-drivers-ubuntu-14-04/) and applied the latest driver version (352.30) via the Driver Manager. (I checked the nvidia website for which version to use for my card.) But then when I go to enable the card via the Nvidia X Server Settings, it gives me a blank error popup, and then reverts back to using the (CPU-integrated) Intel GPU after closing it.

I've also spent the past day and a half trying to get this card (GT 740) to work properly on Debian 8.1. I played around with the drivers and Xorg and ended up reinstalling Debian several times in the process, while finding no solution and deciding to switch to Mint for better compatibility. I do, however, like Debian quite a bit more so if anyone happens to have a solution for that problem I can supply some more details about those issues. (Though I am perfectly fine using Mint)

Ideas?

efflandt
August 12th, 2015, 06:53 PM
I have not tried Mint lately. But my laptop with Intel HD 4600 / Nvidia GTX 765M works fine in 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04 just using nvidia-331-updates package from the normal Ubuntu repositories. Newer nvidia graphics might need a newer driver, but that should not be an issue for GT 740 (although, it is not clear if this is GT 740 added to a desktop or GT 740M on a laptop). If it is a desktop maybe you need to do something in BIOS to disable your Intel video.

Maybe one thing to note is that nomodeset is typically needed as a boot parameter when installing Ubuntu on a desktop PC with nvidia graphics. However, I had see a post from someone who said that did NOT work for hybrid (dual) graphics on a laptop. So I did not use nomodeset when installing 14.04 on my laptop (which boots/runs from mSATA SSD card).

PaulW2U
August 12th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Threads merged. Please do not create duplicate threads.

hawkzy2
August 12th, 2015, 11:38 PM
I have not tried Mint lately. But my laptop with Intel HD 4600 / Nvidia GTX 765M works fine in 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04 just using nvidia-331-updates package from the normal Ubuntu repositories. Newer nvidia graphics might need a newer driver, but that should not be an issue for GT 740 (although, it is not clear if this is GT 740 added to a desktop or GT 740M on a laptop). If it is a desktop maybe you need to do something in BIOS to disable your Intel video.

Maybe one thing to note is that nomodeset is typically needed as a boot parameter when installing Ubuntu on a desktop PC with nvidia graphics. However, I had see a post from someone who said that did NOT work for hybrid (dual) graphics on a laptop. So I did not use nomodeset when installing 14.04 on my laptop (which boots/runs from mSATA SSD card).

It's a 740 put into a desktop that already had integrated graphics. I haven't tried setting nomodeset, but I think I tried blacklisting nouveau, which did not work. Something I realized yesterday was that the card wasn't seated properly in the PCI-e slot; however, fixing that has not helped my issues thus far.

I have since installed Debian 8.1 over Mint and am about to re-install Mint in dual-boot so I can try this with two distros at once and see which one fixes easier, since I do like Debian more.

I've also tried Bumblebee on Debian, which has not worked. Running anything with optirun returns:

optirun glxgears
[ 1425.799638] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version 1.4: Permission denied

[ 1425.799666] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.

And the card is detected by the system:

lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 740] (rev a1)

Threads merged. Please do not create duplicate threads.

Thank you. I would have deleted the first one if I could, I didn't realize there was a Mint section until after I posted the first in official Hardware. I will be more aware in the future.