PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live cd/usb freeze up

michael14
August 9th, 2015, 03:23 PM
when i am on live usb yesterday the system froze up making me have to force a shutdown.. this has happened twice but not in a row it happened days apart. What could have caused it you think and would it happen once i get it installed?

VMC
August 9th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Did it freeze upon booting or during live usage?

Need your hardware info. Might try using 'nomodeset' for the kernel booting.

michael14
August 9th, 2015, 06:38 PM
Did it freeze upon booting or during live usage?

Need your hardware info. Might try using 'nomodeset' for the kernel booting.

It didn't freeze up during boot. Booting up was so fast it happened during live usage after like i guess 2 or 3 hours of using it.
I'm windows 8.1 right now, and all my specs are on http://speccy.piriform.com/results/1vExsVZ00tU8NcDQrtSsdpC I just used speccy to publish a snapshot of the info.

michael14
August 10th, 2015, 01:35 AM
do you think it would happen once installed?

NathanRodriguez
August 10th, 2015, 03:06 AM
Hard to say, see if you can reproduce the freeze to determine the application causing it.

michael14
August 10th, 2015, 03:08 AM
Hard to say, see if you can reproduce the freeze to determine the application causing it.

I was mostly using google chrome and HexChat on the live preview.. i didn't have the security fixes installed on the live preview.

VMC
August 10th, 2015, 04:27 AM
Check the log files. using file manager open either/or "/var/log/syslog", "/var/log/kern.log". They are rather lengthy files. Look for the date it failed and search for any unusual error messages.