PDA

View Full Version : 10 reasons why linux is terrible

jose82
August 9th, 2015, 06:26 AM
I am just tired of listening to people coming to me and saying: “have you tried Linux?”, “see how cool it is!”, “you won’t ask anything more!”. I was sort of fed up and tried my hands on collecting some things that are against Linux. Here is a list of 10 points that proves that Linux is in fact terrible.

It's terrible because it is free of cost. There can’t be any free lunch in today’s world. I know what these free things are up to.

It's terrible because there is no copyright infringement or any other limitation on the use. Anybody and everybody can contribute in its development. It is messy.

It's terrible because nobody can claim the ownership on it: People just contribute and develop. Who is the authority on it and who is liable? I don’t like software that are uncertain about who is handling them.

It's terrible because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one and all. What I would do if everybody knows computers and knows how to use it. It will ruin my business and my panache in my small towns where I am the celebrity and the-computer-guy.

It's terrible because there are many distributions in it. People just don’t stick with one distro: I like to choose one thing and then stay with it.

It's terrible because its release cycle is 6 months: I have to upgrade it time and again. I hate these upgrades making me feel that I will be termed a idiot if I don’t upgrade.

It's terrible because people don’t know what is the exact pronunciation of it? Linix, Lynex, Linax, or what. I mean it does not have a name that can be uniform throughout the world. A name is a mark of functionality: People who claim that it works so well and does not have any working problems are under an illusion.

It's terrible because there are communities and groups who help you if you face problems. I don’t like talking to humans. I love the computer sounds that make you feel talking to aliens.

It's terrible because it does not have any problem and is simple to use: How can a system without problem exist? A problem-less system is not reliable; there must be something fishy about it.

It's terrible because everybody who uses it says: I like it! This is perhaps a borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it. How could be a system for fool-proof?

scriptkitten_
August 9th, 2015, 07:20 AM
When your windows computer gets trashed from all the malware going around (it's just a matter of time) windows is going to make you pay ~100 bucks in your time of need for new installation disks....

Free is good
freedom is good
linux is good

portalhavoc
August 9th, 2015, 07:56 AM
When your windows computer gets trashed from all the malware going around (it's just a matter of time) windows is going to make you pay ~100 bucks in your time of need for new installation disks....

Free is good
freedom is good
linux is good
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions you know!

Irihapeti
August 9th, 2015, 07:59 AM
It's terrible because you run the real risk of learning about your system – instead of having to panic when something goes wrong. And then have some supercilious individual tell you off for tinkering with the registry or something (even if you didn't).

mikodo
August 9th, 2015, 08:24 AM
tongue in cheek. :tongue:

coffeecat
August 9th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Aren't copy-pastes a wonderful thing?

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=110860

You will note that the Linux Mint forum version has “it sucks” each time where the OP has “it's terrible”, and that the OP has edited their post here. And if you were to ask me, as someone who can read the edit log, whether the OP put “it sucks” each time originally, I would not possibly be able to comment! :wink:

buzzingrobot
August 9th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Tongue in cheek, yes. Still, it's worth pointing out in response to the "no one's liable..." assertion that corporations like Red Hat indemnify -- basically, self-insure -- customers.

"No one in charge" has a fair amount of validity, away from Torvald's and the kernel. Design choices often seem to made by a committee with no clear point of view. And, when someone is clearly in charge and design follows a specific path, as in Gnome and Unity, the result usually becomes a punching bag for folks who think Linux should simply be a grab bag offering anything to anyone.

Some things that probably ought to die seem to live on forever. I'll suggest KDE Activities as a prime example. It's a great example of a feature that does something interesting that hardly anyone actually uses. In the corporate world, the Activities devs would be refocused on something more useful and marketable.

Whether the upgrade cycle is 6 month, 9 months, or whatever, churn in Linux is rapid and frequent compared to its competitors. Shared libraries and other attributes means applications age out more rapidly than they might, forcing users who want or need to keep their tool set current to jump on the upgrade wagon. The only real alternative is to adopt an LTS of one distro or another, but that doesn't work for everyone.

Skaperen
August 9th, 2015, 12:24 PM
it sucks ... except when it doesn't

fidel5
August 9th, 2015, 01:32 PM
I am just tired of listening to people coming to me and saying: “have you tried Linux?”, “see how cool it is!”, “you won’t ask anything more!”. I was sort of fed up and tried my hands on collecting some things that are against Linux. Here is a list of 10 points that proves that Linux is in fact terrible.

It's terrible because it is free of cost. There can’t be any free lunch in today’s world. I know what these free things are up to.

It's terrible because there is no copyright infringement or any other limitation on the use. Anybody and everybody can contribute in its development. It is messy.

It's terrible because nobody can claim the ownership on it: People just contribute and develop. Who is the authority on it and who is liable? I don’t like software that are uncertain about who is handling them.

It's terrible because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one and all. What I would do if everybody knows computers and knows how to use it. It will ruin my business and my panache in my small towns where I am the celebrity and the-computer-guy.

It's terrible because there are many distributions in it. People just don’t stick with one distro: I like to choose one thing and then stay with it.

It's terrible because its release cycle is 6 months: I have to upgrade it time and again. I hate these upgrades making me feel that I will be termed a idiot if I don’t upgrade.

It's terrible because people don’t know what is the exact pronunciation of it? Linix, Lynex, Linax, or what. I mean it does not have a name that can be uniform throughout the world. A name is a mark of functionality: People who claim that it works so well and does not have any working problems are under an illusion.

It's terrible because there are communities and groups who help you if you face problems. I don’t like talking to humans. I love the computer sounds that make you feel talking to aliens.

It's terrible because it does not have any problem and is simple to use: How can a system without problem exist? A problem-less system is not reliable; there must be something fishy about it.

It's terrible because everybody who uses it says: I like it! This is perhaps a borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it. How could be a system for fool-proof?

Great post!

wildmanne39
August 9th, 2015, 05:14 PM
I have read many posts about linux being bad but this posts reasons given just does not make sense to me for the most part.

Peter_Brixey
August 9th, 2015, 09:50 PM
While I believe the OP wrote the piece tongue in cheek and with a smile on his face, but if Linux is bad, try Windows 10. I have and it REALLY SUCKS in no uncertain terms. W10 was the last straw that is driving me to an alternative computer "Life Style"...

Peter B.

CharlesA
August 10th, 2015, 01:21 AM
While I believe the OP wrote the piece tongue in cheek and with a smile on his face, but if Linux is bad, try Windows 10. I have and it REALLY SUCKS in no uncertain terms. W10 was the last straw that is driving me to an alternative computer "Life Style"...

Peter B.

To each their own. That's what choice is about. :)

coffeecat
August 10th, 2015, 07:43 AM
OK, folks. The OP has had their bit of fun with an internet meme, but won't be coming back.

Contrast and compare:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2202226

And, yes, I can confirm that the first post of this thread had the identical text before it was edited by the poster. And, if anyone is interested, try googling the distinctive phrase "business and my panache". Here's another of several examples:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/coffee-lounge/191842-10-reasons-why-linux-sucks.html

Thread closed.