PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I'm in EFI-hell

stevecoh1
August 8th, 2015, 11:53 PM
I bought this Lenovo Thinkpad 540-T (64-bit) a little over a year ago. Had I known all the obstacles EFI was going to throw in my face, I never would have. I didn't want Windows, I wanted Ubuntu and installed 14.04. Somehow back then, I made a mistake, I don't evwanten remember what it was, and wiped out the Windows boot. I didn't mind that too much, I hated Windows 8.1 and never wanted to use it. I could still boot Ubuntu and things were ok. They stayed okay until kernel 3.13.0-48 came out. With this kernel, my USB and WiFi were broken. I then made the mistake of installing grub (v1) and this at least allowed me to boot up the previous kernel 3.13.0-46 which worked fine.

I wanted to get beyond this state today, and a helpful fellow on X-Chat Ubuntu told me to reinstall grub2-EFI, which I did. Probably I should have told him about my screwed up EFI configuration, but I didn't. The result now is that whenever I reboot from the hard drive EFI comes up with a nasty "Secure Boot" message telling me that my disk image is unrecognized. I was able to boot from a CDROM, which is how I'm here now, but I don't have access to my hard drive. I've also made a bootable startup stick from that CD using "Startup Disk Creator", but I want access to my hard drive. Will there be a way to configure this USB stick as a boot device that will allow me access to my system as it was. Or am I going to have to pull all my data off and get the hard drive reloaded with Windows and start all over?

stevecoh1
August 9th, 2015, 12:02 AM
Never mind! Just turned off Secure Boot in the BIOS and everything is fine!