PDA

View Full Version : Unresolved symbol error on starting a legacy Motif application...

Brian_Cowan
August 5th, 2015, 08:58 PM
When starting a legacy Motif 2.2 application on an Ubuntu 14.04 host, we get this little bit of fun:
symbol lookup error: [redacted path]: undefined symbol: XmRedisplayWidget

The application worked fine on Red hat Linux 6.everything. (with openmotif installed)

After a lot of digging, we found out that after installing libmotif[-common|3|4] and libmotif[-common|3|4]:i386, libXm.so.3 was actually a symlink to libXm.so.4. And a quick "strings" check confirmed that the symbol wasn't defined. On a RHEL 6.6 system, libXm.so.3 was a symlink to libXm.so.3.0.2, and contained that symbol reference.

I look in the man pages and that widget call is in the man pages that came along for the ride when I installed libmotif-dev.

What we wound up doing was grabbing an older version of libmotif3, and then manually installing it:
mkdir libmotif
cd libmotif
wget http://hr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/o/openmotif/libmotif3_2.2.3-4_i386.deb
dpkg -x ./libmotif3_2.2.3-4_i386.deb .
<copy/move appropriate libraries>

Now here is the question, the lack of a *documented* symbol in a library is a defect, but whose? Is this a Canonical packaging issue, or an openmotif issue? Essentially, "who do we yell at?" which is the biggest question when dealing with open source. Is Libmotif4 supposed to be fully backwards compatible with libmotif3? If I look at https://motif.ics.com/motif/downloads I see that it claims that the "latest" is 2.3.4-1, yet apt --installed list says:
libmotif-common/trusty,now 2.3.4-5 all [installed]
libmotif3/trusty,now 2.3.4-5 amd64
libmotif4/trusty,now 2.3.4-5 amd64

Incidentally, the XmRedisplayWidget symbol *is* in the 2.3.4-1 download from https://motif.ics.com/motif/downloads. But finding the source/changelog for the -5 version seems to be a challenge. So, we wind up with the same question... is -5 a Canonical thing or an Integrated Computer Solutions thing?

tgalati4
August 6th, 2015, 05:17 AM
Well, Motif is an old widget set. I remember using it in the early 1980's. Your situation demonstrates the different packaging methods between Red Hat and Debian-based Linux operating systems.

For your questions: There is no openmotif package for Ubuntu, so that is a dead end. I suppose you could convert it using alien--which would attempt to convert the openmotif package from Red Hat to Ubuntu. This is not always successful, and generally not recommended because of system breakage that could occur.

You could simply file a bug against libmotif and let the bug tracking system kick it around a few times. Reference this thread and mention your work-around. I don't know if there is a Motif-to-newer-widget-set (perhaps gnome2) script that you could run the application through.

As the frameworks that make up Linux are constantly changing such breakage is bound to happen.

Brian_Cowan
August 6th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Well, if you could point me to where to enter the bug... The MotifZone.org bug tracker doesn't exist anymore, so would I be looking at an upstream (debian) bug, or a canonical one?

Brian_Cowan
August 6th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Ah, no LMGTFY links please... I filed it against debian: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=794786

Brian_Cowan
August 6th, 2015, 08:15 PM
In case anyone else sees this, this is apparently because support for the (deprecated) X Print API was removed as per Debian "bug" 657253. Given the extreme age of the application, and the API, and that the API was officially deprecated about 8 years ago... Well, looks like we are done here. The Debian maintainer said that this was the first program he's seen that used X Print... And we don't use it for "printing"...

tgalati4
August 7th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Well old is old. Really old is really old. Sounds like your application is really old. Perhaps you can run the application on a Red Hat 6 virtual machine which is hosted by Ubuntu 14.04.