PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ubuntu installer freezing !

keloa2
August 4th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Hey
I'm new to ubuntu and I'm trying to install ubuntu as my primary system
I downloaded the two versions of ubuntu (14.04 LTS) and ubuntu (15.04)
I tried to install the os via usb stick (tried three different sticks) and a dvd
and always the same problem when I chose try ubuntu the system freezes !
So does any one know how to fix it guys ?
Thanks in advance :)

Vladlenin5000
August 4th, 2015, 10:32 PM
So does any one know how to fix it guys ?

Perhaps, but it mostly likely depends on the hardware.
Post the specs and we'll see :-)

keloa2
August 4th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Perhaps, but it mostly likely depends on the hardware.
Post the specs and we'll see :-)
ok
I own alienware m14
Nvidia GetForce GT750M with 2GB GDDR5
intel Core I7-4710MQ
HDD 1 TB
SSD 256 GB
16 GB Ram
do you need any extra information about the hardware ?

Vladlenin5000
August 4th, 2015, 10:56 PM

^^^^
This.
You need to boot with nomodeset. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions#Ubuntu_CD_Advanced_Welcome_Page_Option s
-> F6 and select it

keloa2
August 4th, 2015, 11:10 PM
I'll try and let you know :)

yancek
August 4th, 2015, 11:14 PM
press enter to boot , 'e' to edit the commands before booting, 'c' for command-line , ESC to return to the previous menu

Hit the e key on the keyboard, use the down arrow key on the keyboard to get to the line beginning with the work linux, right arrow key to the end of the line, leave a space and type in nomodeset and boot.

keloa2
August 4th, 2015, 11:28 PM

^^^^
This.
You need to boot with nomodeset. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions#Ubuntu_CD_Advanced_Welcome_Page_Option s
-> F6 and select it
The same problem !
when I select nomodeset and hit try ubuntu the system load then it freezes

keloa2
August 4th, 2015, 11:30 PM
Hit the e key on the keyboard, use the down arrow key on the keyboard to get to the line beginning with the work linux, right arrow key to the end of the line, leave a space and type in nomodeset and boot.
I did what you said then the system was searching in the files then I got a message : found no errors , press any key to reboot

keloa2
August 5th, 2015, 12:04 AM
I tried it again but not in the end of the line and it worked ! :)
Thanks man

Vladlenin5000
August 5th, 2015, 12:11 AM
Nice :-)

Now you can test it and/or install. You'll need to repeat the process for your first boot and then, in low resolution/graphics mode, install the recommended proprietary drivers.
The nomodeset (or any other additional option) shouldn't survive a reboot without further user action(s) but if it does you'll need to reverse the changes (delete "nomodeset") in order to have the new drivers properly loaded.

keloa2
August 5th, 2015, 12:16 AM
Nice :-)

Now you can test it and/or install. You'll need to repeat the process for your first boot and then, in low resolution/graphics mode, install the recommended proprietary drivers.
The nomodeset (or any other additional option) shouldn't survive a reboot without further user action(s) but if it does you'll need to reverse the changes (delete "nomodeset") in order to have the new drivers properly loaded.
Thank you for your help :)
now I got this error :
executing 'grub-install /dev/sda' failed. this is a fatal error
(I'm trying to install the system)
:(