PDA

View Full Version : Trick: Firefox: click to select url in address bar

Jose Catre-Vandis
August 3rd, 2006, 11:35 PM
In Windows, the default for Firefox is to select the entire url in the address bar when you single left click into it. Under Ubuntu, this doesn't happen, and you have to double click. If you use Firefox in both OS on a regular basis then this tip might help to avoid some annoyance.

Open Firefox

type:

about:config
in the address bar and click Go (or press Enter/Return)

In the filter box type:

click
From the filtered list you need to work with:

browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll
Right click on this entry and select "Toggle" from the drop down menu, to change the value to "true"

Close Firefox

Re-open Firefox and single left click in the address bar, you should find the entire url is selected :-)

Of course, if you prefer the Ubuntu default action, then do the reverse in your Windows Firefox :-)

EDIT:

I have collected together the other keyboard shortcuts available for working with the address and search bars, Thanks to everyones contribution to make my trick more complete, and to morfeibg for gathering them together

Here are the other helpful shortcuts that were posted:
Ctrl + L - selects the URL address
Ctrl + I - shows page information
Ctrl + K - selects the text in the search bar
Hitting Esc when the pointer is in the address bar selects the url

Ferio
August 4th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Though I abandoned Windows more than a year ago, I missed this behaviour in my Firefox, thank you very much!

darrenrxm
August 4th, 2006, 09:21 AM
I found this to be vexing when I first started using firefox on Ubuntu. But then I stared using the cntl+l shortcut. Anyway, this should help windows users.

vdemeester
August 4th, 2006, 09:39 AM
I found this to be vexing when I first started using firefox on Ubuntu. But then I stared using the cntl+l shortcut. Anyway, this should help windows users.

Wouah, i didn't notice this key shortcut. Very useful ^^

vuitton
August 4th, 2006, 11:49 AM
thank you very much : ) i missed this 'feature'

pjot
August 4th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I've always felt that Firefox was clumpsy on MS and never really figured out why but when I saw this thread I realized that's the main issue I've had with MS FF so I've done the reverse and now FF feels (almost ;)) as good on MS.

bionnaki
August 4th, 2006, 02:59 PM
thanks!

Rackerz
August 4th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks for this! I missed it :D.

deepank
August 4th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I had just started using firefox in ubuntu and was missing this( I was actually selecting the url by click and drag ... most troublesome) . Thanks for the cool tip.

zerwas
August 4th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Perhaps you could add this at the end of your trick:
I think selecting the url in address bar can better be done by pressing Escape. Because the url, that has selected by this way, does not get the way into the clipboard! In my opinion this is better for copy and paste actions.

single click in the address bar
pressing Escape

Greetings,
zerwas

Tomosaur
August 4th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks for this, made my life just a little bit easier :P

PingunZ
August 4th, 2006, 10:00 PM
try Ctrl + L

thunderduck3141
August 4th, 2006, 10:03 PM
if find that trying to make linux and linux apps more windoz like defeats the purpose of linux
we should be setting the standards not them

Tomosaur
August 4th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Can't help but feel we're a little late for that :P

lucia_engel
August 4th, 2006, 11:16 PM
In Windows, the default for Firefox is to select the entire url in the address bar when you single left click into it. Under Ubuntu, this doesn't happen, and you have to double click.

Under Ubuntu (I think this works in Windows too), I just click the little icon next to the url bar to select the address.

BTW, does anyone know an efficient method (ie. one click) to "select all" the search box? I know you can right click and select all or just choose a search engine from the list to select all.

zerwas
August 4th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Under Ubuntu (I think this works in Windows too), I just click the little icon next to the url bar to select the address.

Thanks, didn't know that!

BTW, does anyone know an efficient method (ie. one click) to "select all" the search box? I know you can right click and select all or just choose a search engine from the list to select all.
:D Do the same like you do with the url bar: click the Google-icon.

Jose Catre-Vandis
August 5th, 2006, 02:04 AM
if find that trying to make linux and linux apps more windoz like defeats the purpose of linux

FCOL :-({|=

The point of the tip/trick was to align functionality/usability - either way for Windows or Linux preference, as there are probably many folk like me who use Windows and Linux in their daily work/home lives.

What vexes me is why the settings are different for each OS, probably to ease the transfer of IE users over to FF, otherwise I am sure Mozilla would have the default settings the same

lucia_engel
August 5th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Thanks, didn't know that!

:D Do the same like you do with the url bar: click the Google-icon.

Oh, but when I click on the google icon, it only shows the drop down menu of all the search engines I have. Though if I choose Google again from the menu then it'll "select all".

Sam
August 5th, 2006, 02:34 AM
IMO I find better one click to select, double click to select all. Because with one click you can select a part of the URL to edit something, and with double click to replace the whole stuff. Anyway that's the way I prefer, and nobody thinks the same...

By the way, clicking the favicon will select the whole URL.

mustang
August 5th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Cool tip. Thank you

kingbilly
August 5th, 2006, 05:55 AM
This is a very helpful tip for the people I have shared linux with. We go out to eat twice a week and this was the most recent topic we discussed.
My peers rarely edit the url in the address bar (.htm to .html?) but instead click in there to change the whole url. Glad I noticed this on the front page of the forums, I will send it to those who needed it.

Not sure if I agree with this. Some standards are just, standard, in some cases and this is one of them (though I am a keyboard maniac and use Ctrl L as someone pointed out in this thread). I don't know if we want to "Set" a standard in this case, which would look like this:

Ubuntu Linux - The OS for people who prefer to triple click in the address bar. 100% original, accept no substitutes. :rolleyes:

Van_Gogh
August 5th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I've always been annoyed by the difference in Firefox bahaviour in windows and Ubutnu, so I think this is a really great tip.

Another small tip is that you can change it programatically too, if you want to change it for the default value for every user on the computer by changing the firefox.js file in the /usr/share/firefox/defaults/pref directory: Just change the false in

user_pref("browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll", false);
to 'true'.

Don't know if that was useful for anyone, but now you know :-p

PingunZ
August 5th, 2006, 01:22 PM
for selecting the whole text in the search bar do Ctrl + K

Adrian_b
August 5th, 2006, 01:31 PM
They probably disabled that feature for Linux because of it's "select to copy" nature..
If you selected something and clicked in the URL bar to delete it, you would've lost the thing you copied before..

Xera
August 5th, 2006, 08:38 PM
thanks, this was really annoying me having to highlight the url ;)

rko618
August 5th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks! I've been looking for this for a long time.

morfeibg
August 6th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Very useful how to.

vdemeester
August 6th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Very useful how to.

Using keyboard is faster than click and double clicking everywhere.. Now i'm more and more efficient with keyboard in my firefox (under any OS)

Jose Catre-Vandis
August 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Using keyboard is faster than click and double clicking everywhere.. Now i'm more and more efficient with keyboard in my firefox (under any OS)

This all depends on whether you have your hand/s on the mouse or the keyboard ;)

lbo
August 19th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Another small tip is that you can change it programatically too, if you want to change it for the default value for every user on the computer by changing the firefox.js file in the /usr/share/firefox/defaults/pref directory: Just change the false in
Code:

user_pref("browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll", false);

to 'true'.

Thank you very much Van_Gogh, this was very useful for me. I needed to slightly modify this and replace "user_pref" with "pref" in order to make it work for me:

pref("browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll", true);

The system-wide firefox.js was located at
/etc/mozilla-firefox/pref/firefox.js on my Breezy installation with FireFox 1.07.

Kind regards,
Lambert

shadowfx78
August 19th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks this works excellent

GotGamble
October 12th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the tip,was handy, plus I learned a little more about how to handle more advanced configuration problems with Firefox on Ubuntu.

You da man!

VenQWish
December 14th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks, this was really helpfull. I didn't see this in the original post, so I'll say it here. Pressing F6 also takes you to the url bar.

Another tip for migrating windows users (such as me ;) ). In the about.config, type in backspace as the filter, and set the value of browser.backspace.action to 0 to enable using backspace as a "back button".

stathiz
April 20th, 2008, 11:16 PM
thanks for the tips :guitar:

PinkFloyd102489
April 21st, 2008, 05:56 AM
Also, you can restore the Backspace function in Ubuntu Firefox too. When you hit Backspace, it goes back a page instead of just acting like Page Up.

Search "backspace" in about:config and change the only entry there from "1" to "0" as in zero.

dage
April 23rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Perhaps you could add this at the end of your trick:
I think selecting the url in address bar can better be done by pressing Escape. Because the url, that has selected by this way, does not get the way into the clipboard! In my opinion this is better for copy and paste actions.

single click in the address bar
pressing Escape

Greetings,
zerwas

not bad at all, thank u :)

kevinamadeus
May 26th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Yay!
Thanks Jose. I'm a complete newbie and spent ages trying to figure this one out.

phyrewall
January 22nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks for this, it had bothered me a lot in the past, and even more so know that I've integrated the search bar into the address bar!

rahul_does
October 10th, 2011, 03:13 PM
YTM,n,D! This was such a pain! Thanks a tonne, Angel!