PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] anyhelp? Boot Ubuntu on ACER E 13 (ES1-311-C4Q6)

hello5
August 1st, 2015, 03:03 PM
Hello, have recently installed the latest Ubuntu version from flash drive on an ACER E 13 (ES1-311-C4Q6) notebook,

installed the o/s image to flash using: Linux Live USB creator -from windows

image: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS (64bit)

opted to format the HD before installing (removed windows,) installation works fine, however when rebooting my notebook solemnly declares - NO BOOTABLE DEVICE

have tried reinstalling, and have changed boot orders around, have reset boot order in BIOS to standard but the o/s is still not found.

I am currently using UBUNTU from the flash drive and can see the O/S files are accessible on the hard drive?

kinda out of ideas...............

THANKYOU ***

Vladlenin5000
August 1st, 2015, 05:13 PM
Hi and welcome.

ACER ES1-311-C4Q6 is a UEFI enabled system. This means there's a lot more to learn in order to install, particularly in dual boot scenarios - not the case - and even with Ubuntu as a single OS it often needs some parameters in BIOS/UEFI like disabling secure boot - shouldn't be needed now but some systems won't let you boot anything other than Windows with secure boot on. There are also other settings that may need to be changed.

hello5
August 1st, 2015, 06:10 PM
Ok thankyou I will look into BIOS further...

hello5
August 1st, 2015, 08:01 PM
OK have experimented with the BIOS thanks to your advice.

I have tried changing modes to LEGACY and seperately disabling SECURE BOOT in UEFI however this did'nt help.

The other obvious option I have after setting a password: To set UEFI files as trusted in the database

this has given me some success.

It takes me into the HD displaying files...

shimx64.efi
grubx64.efi
MokManager.efi

BIOS then asks for a boot description and a YES/NO value for each file. Changing these setting around I am able to reach the SHIM boot screen however none of the options here results in success...

I had thought GRUB load was needed possibly?

Will research more myself but otherwise any help from anyone would be great? ... ...