PDA

View Full Version : Installing Gnome-Flashback (Metacity) on 14.04.2 LTS

c_xy
July 30th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Hello,

We are using Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS server. We wanted to install Gnome-flashback since most of us are familiar with that desktop environment.

Is there a way to ONLY Metacity with our Compiz?

In the past we installed with a two step process:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

then

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-flashback

However, we don't want unity or compiz. Just metacity installed. Is there a particular command that would only install Metacity without Compiz or Unity. Or does flashback have dependencies connected with Unity where Unity has to be installed?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

c

grahammechanical
July 30th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Metacity does not depend on Compiz. Unity is a Compiz plugin so Unity depends on Compiz. Metacity is a window manager. Compiz is a window manager/compositor. We can have both installed but we will only use one or the other after the login screen.

If you do not install a desktop environment, then I doubt there will be very much for Metacity to manage. And Ubuntu Desktop will bring in Compiz and Unity. You may be better off investigating ubuntu-mate-desktop. I do not think that you will get Compiz or Unity with the Ubuntu Mate desktop.

With Ubuntu Mate desktop environment you may not need Gnome Flashback at all.

Regards.

deadflowr
July 30th, 2015, 06:52 PM
You should be able to get just the fallback session, by only running

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
and ignoring the ubuntu-desktop package entirely.
Then install any extra packages you want later.

gnome-panel is gnome-fallback, and only includes the metacity window manager and not compiz, and therefor no unity either.
If you installed the ubuntu-desktop package then you'd be installing unity and therefor the compiz packages, which the fallback session would be able to use.

(Though to be fair, a few packages will have unity names in them, but that will be all. No need to worry about those.
(They are packages like unity-control-center, which is Ubuntu's re-tooled version of the gnome-control-center))

As if any of that makes sense...

v3.xx
July 30th, 2015, 09:35 PM
You can install flashback/metacity without the ubuntu-desktop and compiz.

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gnome-session-flashback

This will require using either startx or a display manager to login.

claracc
July 31st, 2015, 08:44 AM
Here, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2220264, you have a very good and self explanatory thread about the installation of gnome flasback desktop and some workarounds for new problems.

c_xy
July 31st, 2015, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions.

It looks like the installation may more of a work around than I anticipated.

I'll take these into consideration and explore the different options.

Thanks again.

c