PDA

View Full Version : How to not update graphics driver.

Chase_Preuninger
July 28th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I recently installed cuda along with the nvidia driver which came with it. I then installed updated for ubuntu and when I rebooted the graphics were broken and I could not log in. I think ubuntu may have tried to update the original graphics driver. How do I disable updates of the graphics driver?

dino99
July 28th, 2015, 04:36 PM
from a terminal, run:

sudo apt-mark hold myfavoritepackage

select the exact driver name ,in your case, you want to be not upgraded when a newer version come.
to get a newer version (if you change your mind) then use 'dist-upgrade'

monkeybrain20122
July 28th, 2015, 06:55 PM
AFAIK Ubuntu doesn't upgrade the Nvidia driver unless you install from ppa. Sounds like it has upgraded the kernel. If you install the driver manually from Nvida to use CUDA (as oppose to repo or ppa) then you would have to rebuild the driver when there is a kernel update. You can pin the kernel, but a better way is probably to grab the latest kernel from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ then build your driver against it, that way you won't be affected by any Ubuntu kernel upgrade because your version supersedes all Ubuntu kernel upgrades and you choose when you want to upgrade (and rebuild the driver) should you feel like it.