PDA

View Full Version : VoIP App in 14.04

coljohnhannibalsmith
July 27th, 2015, 11:48 PM
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a VoIP app that works well in 14.04? My two primary concerns are price
and security. In terms of price free is better. For that I'd probably have to use Magic Jack, which
I don't think anyone's gotten to work under Wine. For security I'd like to keep to the call encryted
for as long as possible along its route. I've heard Skype has good encryption. My last concerns are
features. Obviously the more feature rich the product is the more useful it's likely to be in the
long run.

Thanks, Hannibal

gdesilva
July 28th, 2015, 04:21 AM
Give Ekiga a try...there are heaps of others in the Ubuntu Software Centre

Bucky Ball
July 28th, 2015, 05:02 AM
Thread moved to The Cafe.

Skype works for me. Enable the partner repositories and install from the repos (Software Centre).

coljohnhannibalsmith
July 28th, 2015, 06:33 AM
Thanks guys,

In the interim I found Nymgo in the software center. I installed it because it had 5 stars and boasted low rates.
I created an account and have made a test call. There's a noticeable delay, but it's tolerable. I'm going to
try the apps you've recommended sided by side to see which I like best. At the moment, I'm really interested
in finding out if there's any difference in the delay between these apps. I think the one that wins is going to be
the one that has the shortest propagation delay.

I'm going to mark this thread as solved; but I'm going to post my findings once I've finished with my evaluation.

Thanks, Hannibal

coljohnhannibalsmith
July 28th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Wow,

I thought I was going to mark this thread as solved; but that option is not available in thread tools.

Bucky Ball
July 28th, 2015, 06:41 AM
Wow,

I thought I was going to mark this thread as solved; but that option is not available in thread tools.

That option is not available in the Cafe because discussion/opinion/recommendation threads have no solution or resolution, just more discussions/opinions/recommendations. They generally develop a life of their own.

coljohnhannibalsmith
July 28th, 2015, 08:52 AM
That option is not available in the Cafe because discussion/opinion/recommendation threads have no solution or resolution, just more discussions/opinions/recommendations. They generally develop a life of their own.

I get it. I thought it might be something like that.):P

monkeybrain20122
July 28th, 2015, 05:54 PM
jitsi in case you are still reading this thread https://jitsi.org/

Wonder if anyone has tried Firefox hello?

mastablasta
July 29th, 2015, 07:23 AM
Wonder if anyone has tried Firefox hello?

i have, but a while ago. performance was really bad.

need to give Jitsi a try.

i use Skype as their call rates are low. But recently i had problems on WinXP. after their latest "improvement of my experience" it crashes the whole system in a strange way. you can't reset it with soft reset, there is no picture on monitor and you can still hear and talk normally. anyway it appears I am not the only one with the issue. I will try downgrading see if that works. no issues on Linux version or on 7 though. it could be a bit less resource hungry. still picture & sound is good (when it works) even when talking with relatives that live on the other side of the world and have bad mobile internet connection.

monkeybrain20122
July 29th, 2015, 07:38 AM
i have, but a while ago. performance was really bad.

need to give Jitsi a try.

i use Skype as their call rates are low. But recently i had problems on WinXP. after their latest "improvement of my experience" it crashes the whole system in a strange way. you can't reset it with soft reset, there is no picture on monitor and you can still hear and talk normally. anyway it appears I am not the only one with the issue. I will try downgrading see if that works. no issues on Linux version or on 7 though. it could be a bit less resource hungry. still picture & sound is good (when it works) even when talking with relatives that live on the other side of the world and have bad mobile internet connection.

Why? you still on XP??!!

Anyway, the problem with voip is that your contacts have to be on the same channel so you would have to use skype if they do. jitsi is nice but you have to have your contacts using it or one of the supported channel to use it.