PDA

View Full Version : Threads that everyone complains about

forrestcupp
August 3rd, 2006, 08:49 PM
Have you ever noticed that the threads that everyone complains about are the ones with the most posts?

aysiu
August 3rd, 2006, 08:56 PM
Have you ever noticed that the threads that everyone complains about are the ones with the most posts?
Yes, and serial killers get more press than non-homicidal citizens. Attention isn't the most worthy goal to seek in life.

fuscia
August 3rd, 2006, 09:00 PM
but most of those posts are people complaining about the thread.

aysiu
August 3rd, 2006, 09:07 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#Attention-seeking_trolls

What annoys me most is people posting sensationalist titles that are meant to enrage you, but the titles have little to do with the first post's contents, and the contents themselves seem reasonable.

... the old bait and switch.

forrestcupp
August 3rd, 2006, 09:07 PM

But those are off-topic posts, which is just as bad.

aysiu
August 3rd, 2006, 09:10 PM
I'd say most of the Linux is not ready for the desktop/ Linux v. Windows threads (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=219243) are on-topic. Sure, you get the occasional, "Oh, not this again" post (usually mine), but most carry on the same arguments back and forth for many, many pages.

T700
August 3rd, 2006, 09:11 PM
And for the cherry on the cake, put a pointless poll in the thread.

Paul

"32% Yes, 44% No, and 21% Other"

aysiu
August 3rd, 2006, 09:14 PM
And for the cherry on the cake, put a pointless poll in the thread.

Paul

"32% Yes, 44% No, and 21% Other"
Other? Most pointless polls don't give you that option. Look at the KDE/Gnome faster poll. No "neither" option. No "I don't care" option. No "other" option.

RavenOfOdin
August 3rd, 2006, 09:44 PM
That's because these forums are slowly but surely turning into Yahoo! II.

G Morgan
August 4th, 2006, 01:53 AM

This is the number one flaw in Democracy.

fuscia
August 4th, 2006, 04:16 AM
This is the number one flaw in Democracy.

in my view, the number one flaw in democracy is that it gives the average moron too much power.

Luggy
August 4th, 2006, 04:26 AM
The threads I really hate are the ones that ask "which is better/ do you prefer: gnome or kde?"

Buffalo Soldier
August 4th, 2006, 05:13 AM
The threads I really hate are the ones that ask "which is better/ do you prefer: gnome or kde?"

GNOME vs KDE
Epiphany vs Firefox
Totem vs Mplayer
Evolution vs Thunderbird

fuscia
August 4th, 2006, 05:20 AM
GNOME vs KDE
Epiphany vs Firefox
Totem vs Mplayer
Evolution vs Thunderbird

you left out "will ubuntu taste better/be less filling than vista?"

forrestcupp
August 4th, 2006, 01:25 PM
But for some reason, instead of just ignoring them, we all love to go put our 2 cents in, even though we have said the same thing several times in other threads and even in the same thread. And even though we get mad and fed up about it. I wonder if you did a search on all of a certain individual's posts, how many posts would say the same thing?

But this really should only apply to community forums and not to help forums.