PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] lightdm.conf and session startup scripts

leonard032
July 25th, 2015, 07:40 PM
So I have a dual Monitor setup right now. I have been running lubuntu 14.04 but recently after upgrading the RAM in my computer I made a fresh install of lubuntu 15.04 64 bit.
On my previous installation I setup my monitors using ARandR and then added the script generated by it to /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf from the second answer here (http://askubuntu.com/questions/63681/how-can-i-make-xrandr-customization-permanent). I tried to do the same thing on my new install and it is apparently not running the script. The display-startup-script works fine, the login screen recognizes the two monitors as different screen space. But logging in just ends up with the default, two views of the same thing.
My lightdm.conf file looks like this:

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-guest=false
autologin-user=myname
autologin-user-timeout=0
autologin-session=lightdm-autologin
session-setup-script=/home/myname/.screenlayout/dualMonitors.sh
display-setup-script=/home/myname/.screenlayout/dualMonitors.sh
I know that the script is executable, both because it can be executed on it's own and because the login works correctly. I'm wondering if the problem is to do with the fourth line?

autologin-session=lightdm-autologin
I can't find anything about this setting online. I tried commenting it out but that didn't do anything.

I realize that I could just add the script to my autostart scripts, and I will if it comes to that, but it doesn't really feel like a proper fix.

Any help would be appreciated!

PS: I hope this is posted in the right spot.

leonard032
July 28th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Anybody have ideas on this?

leonard032
August 10th, 2015, 07:07 PM
Anybody know about this? Should I report it as a bug?

Bashing-om
August 10th, 2015, 10:28 PM
leonard032; Hello;

Mind you I do not know the exact answer to your dilemma . But this is the root of it;
release 14.04's initiate system was "upstart" -
release 15.04's init system is "systemd".

The two are not compatible, You will have to convert upstart scripts to what systemd expects and will work with.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SystemdForUpstartUsers
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd

I do not run 15.04 or systemd to this time so if additional assistance is required, those who do know will step up to take up my slack.

I just am not a

know-it-all

leonard032
August 11th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the links. It's unfortunately a little over my head though.

deadflowr
August 11th, 2015, 06:37 PM
Aside from commenting out the autologin-session line, have you tried commenting out any other lines?

See what happens when you comment out the last line, as it really doesn't make sense to be there. (display-setup...)
You're auto-logging in and should be bypassing the greeter session.
(If you see the greeter it should only be briefly and most likely not enough time for any script to properly load, imo)

The user only needs the session-setup-script to run.
(I would think)

Sidenote, the autologin-seesion should be an actual session and not a service.
Sessions are the desktop's that will run, like lubuntu(or lxde), or ubuntu, or gnome. or any number of the different desktop environments or window managers you might want to use.
(You can available sessions in the folder /usr/share/xsessions)

To the system that line, as written, probably makes no sense and it simply disregards it.

Who knows how helpful this, is, hope it is though.

leonard032
August 12th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Aside from commenting out the autologin-session line, have you tried commenting out any other lines?

See what happens when you comment out the last line, as it really doesn't make sense to be there. (display-setup...)
You're auto-logging in and should be bypassing the greeter session.
(If you see the greeter it should only be briefly and most likely not enough time for any script to properly load, imo)

The user only needs the session-setup-script to run.
(I would think)

Sidenote, the autologin-seesion should be an actual session and not a service.
Sessions are the desktop's that will run, like lubuntu(or lxde), or ubuntu, or gnome. or any number of the different desktop environments or window managers you might want to use.
(You can available sessions in the folder /usr/share/xsessions)

To the system that line, as written, probably makes no sense and it simply disregards it.

Who knows how helpful this, is, hope it is though.
That is a line I added in myself. It means that whenever I go to the login page (like when coming out of standby) it sets the dual monitors to the right places.

deadflowr
August 12th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Hmm, I wonder what happens if you flipped the two setup entries.
Have the display-setup listed first, then the session setup.

leonard032
August 13th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Hmm, I wonder what happens if you flipped the two setup entries.
Have the display-setup listed first, then the session setup.
Doesn't change anything. When I first boot it auto-logs me in. But puts the monitors screens on top of each other. If I switch user however, the greeting page treats them as separate screen real estate.