PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failed to load package list

fotcfanforums
July 24th, 2015, 03:52 PM
For some reason I'm having a problem with installing updates. Every time I try I get this error:

E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/repo.steampowered.com_steam_dists_precise_steam_i1 8n_Translation-en, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Any idea what the problem could be? It seems to be something to do with Chrome too, because when I tried using the software and updates option through the system settings, it says Google Chrome is an unauthorized program after I unchecked this repo on the other software section.

I restarted the computer as well, and nothing changed. I am unable to install any updates because of this problem.

Also I'm on Ubuntu 14.04

dino99
July 24th, 2015, 04:05 PM
i also often meet that 'i18n_Translation' error. As i understand that issue, it happen when the server is starting to update its list AND xapian-index Also start on your side.
That should not happen, but the design only use an index, and if that one is starting a modify process, then it is disturbed and fail.
I myself have reported that issue against 'apt' some times ago, but no fix nor assignment have been made; so we need to work around that issue:
- usuaaly reuploading the archive is enough; but sometimes switching the server (main) also help.
- wiping /var/apt/dist/archives/ also help (and/or using clean/autoclean/autoremove)

but its not a show stopper, so no worrying

huxley2
July 24th, 2015, 04:06 PM
I just got the exact same message. Yesterday I swapped around some disk space to increase my root partition so initially thought that that was the culprit. I'm using 14.04 amd64 with FireFox so doubt it's any fault with the browser.

Here's the message when I open package manager:

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/repo.steampowered.com_steam_dists_precise_steam_i1 8n_Translation-en
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

dino99
July 24th, 2015, 04:07 PM
i also often meet that 'i18n_Translation' error. As i understand that issue, it happen when the server is starting to update its list AND xapian-index Also start on your side.
That should not happen, but the design only use an index, and if that one is starting a modify process, then it is disturbed and fail.
I myself have reported that issue against 'apt' some times ago, but no fix nor assignment have been made; so we need to work around that issue:
- usuaaly reuploading the archive is enough; but sometimes switching the server (main) also help.
- wiping /var/apt/dist/archives/ also help (and/or using clean/autoclean/autoremove)

but its not a show stopper, so no worrying

fotcfanforums
July 24th, 2015, 04:19 PM
So, odd thing happened. The error icon is gone now. But I tried an update through the terminal, but it still shows the problem with those repo's or whatever. I'm not too worried about it, just annoying.

huxley2
July 24th, 2015, 04:42 PM
Can you use your package manager? As soon as I cancel the error message it automatically closes.

v3.xx
July 24th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Seen this?

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142:u-ocqbntw_o&q=Encountered+a+section+with+no+Package%3A+header+&sa=Search&cof=FORID:9

bapoumba
July 24th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Please have a look here : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2234757

huxley2
July 24th, 2015, 06:11 PM
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

This left with some other error from steampowered.com, but after a restart, then update, autoclean & autoremove everything is working normally again.

v3.xx
July 24th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Nice :)

don't forget

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/SolvedThreads