PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Unable to load OS from Live media

whitshade
July 24th, 2015, 02:30 PM
I have recently re-installed Xubuntu on my PC. While attempting the re-installation, I found that my computer would boot from a Live DVD and load the menu. Whether I chose Try Xubuntu or Install Xubuntu, I get the same result. The screen goes blank, with a flashing cursor in the upper left corner. Then the cursor vanishes and a red block appears near the upper left corner and the system stops. This doesn't happen with every Live distro and I have replaced the DVD drive (Was IDE, now SATA) with no result. I was able to run and install Xubuntu 12.04 from DVD. I have tested the other DVDs that failed to work and they work fine in other computers. I used the F6 option at the Xubuntu menu to change boot parameters so that the splash screen did not start and I could see the system load. I still got the infamous red block. I have attached a pic of the screen at the point where the system hangs. Any assistance is appreciated.

v3.xx
July 24th, 2015, 02:41 PM
What about nomodeset; have you tried that?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Also do you use UEFI?

ajgreeny
July 24th, 2015, 05:05 PM
To help you more we need to know a lot more detail of the hardware you are using.

CPU?
RAM?
Graphic card?