PDA

View Full Version : Impatiently awaiting convergence.

mikodo
July 23rd, 2015, 11:46 PM
Yesterday, I had some time to kill while waiting for a new prescription medication to be filled. I wondered into the local retail outlet of my ISP's. The sales rep and I got talking ... it was slow, and he was talking enthusiastically about the failed Ubuntu Edge crowdfunded campaign. He said he is going to wait until docker/snappy/convergence is stable and an American firm is selling their phones with Unity next .. whatever. He was talking about all the things it has potential for and the device peripherals he wants to use with it. A first for me, to have a real-life conversation about such things.

Made me rethink my plans to not ever buy a smart phone. Maybe, it might be what I move towards. I await to see how it all plays out. Though, I think it will be a never ending growth curve.

The sales rep, has found a profession he is passionate about, and is very knowledgeable. I new I would follow his advice quickly about any device purchases when, he told me to not bother with any of his store's products and suggested other things. Remarkable guy.

grahammechanical
July 24th, 2015, 01:25 AM
Though, I think it will be a never ending growth curve

There will certainly be a need to keep the device up to date. The three Ubuntu phones already on the market are still considered as "early adopters" devices. They get what are called Over the Air (OTA) updates and OTA 5 has just been pushed out. This blogs shows how things improve over time

http://rpadovani.com/arale-ota5/

I think that when the first converged device comes out later on in the year (fingers crossed!) it will also be a work in progress. There is available an image file of something called Snappy Ubuntu Desktop Next. It can be installed on a desktop machine in a KVM or on to a USB stick. It does not as yet have an ISO image.

I think it is Mir from the boot menu onwards. It is Snappy Ubuntu core and has transactional updates but it is far from being a desktop OS with the standard desktop applications. There is a lot to be done on convergence and I do think that even with a converged device on the market the desktop side will still need a lot of work done on it.

Regards.

(http://rpadovani.com/arale-ota5/)