PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu laptop pictured in car hacking news

ukripper
July 23rd, 2015, 08:59 AM
Was reading about car hacking news scrolling down noticed a familiar picture of Ubuntu with unity on it, running on possibly apple device..I wonder if there are specific car device hacking tools available in PPA repos? Just curious how these researchers are using Ubuntu to gain access to car infomatics..

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

SeijiSensei
July 23rd, 2015, 12:58 PM
Just because they were using Ubuntu doesn't mean that the software they were using to hack the Jeep comes from Ubuntu. They spent three years developing the tools required for this hack. So, no, you're not going to find anything relevant in the repositories or PPAs.

Nor, to be honest, would I want you or anyone else having access to those tools.

MGrowl
July 23rd, 2015, 03:24 PM
The perils of making a car "smart", I bet they knew this from the start.

tgalati4
July 23rd, 2015, 03:30 PM
It's the same reason that medical device manufacturers have not added bluetooth to pacemakers. It's too easy to hack.

ukripper
July 23rd, 2015, 05:43 PM
The perils of making a car "smart", I bet they knew this from the start.

Seems like intelligence agencies want to control your vehicles as well as monitor location and what you are doing...Time to go back and use my VW MK 3 (1997) model

SMART tech makes humans DUMB and easy to monitor

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 24th, 2015, 09:05 PM
I was reading yesterday about hackers demonstrating a hack of a Chrysler jeep via its internet connected console. Today I read about Chrysler recalling jeeps/trucks/cars to have a software fix for the hack. The hackers disabled the brakes and turned off the engine among other things.

When I bought a 2015 model car about 3 months ago, not a Chrysler, I told them I didn't want my car connecting to the internet. I didn't need the car providing navigation maps or working as a cell phone. When the sales person argued with me about the benefits, I told her they are going to get hacked. She smirked, probably thinking I was a technically illiterate old white haired man. When she does her monthly call, I have sent her new customers, I will reminder her of that. She will know what I am talking about because the dealership also sells Jeeps. LOL

bapoumba
July 24th, 2015, 09:34 PM
Threads merged :)

MGrowl
July 25th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Soon enough everything will be connected. The age of IoE (internet of everything) is coming. A convenient, and also, very scary thought. IMO.