PDA

View Full Version : focus stealing

Martin_Mucha
July 21st, 2015, 06:18 AM
Hi,

Currently I'm using XFCE, but this question is not strictly xfce related as I'm willing to adopt new environment, which solves this issue.

My problem is, that I have to use apps, which steals focus from another window. If I click some icon, or invoke action, app window gets focus. The problem is, that given action sometimes takes lets say 30s. And since I do another work meantime, when focus got switched, I continue writing in another window, confirming unwanted actions (even if I do not look at keyboard while writing, I still pressed 'cancel' so many times ...)

The only solution I know, is to forbid that and changing focus with mouse, but that doubles clicking for most of actions ~ start chrome, give focus to it — for example. Is there a better solution to it? Like blacklisting apps which cannot steal focus, or "app can request focus only if there was mouseclick in it during last second"?

thanks,
mar.

TheFu
July 21st, 2015, 07:34 PM
focus policy is a window manager thing - WM - not the DE (desktop environment). Most DEs have a GUI tool to tweak the focus policy or you can modify the WM conf file. I use openbox .... that file is in ~/.config/openbox/ here. It is an ugly XML thing. Wish the devs would switch to yaml or stay with old-school text files that humans can actually read.

oldos2er
July 22nd, 2015, 12:55 AM
In xfce4 right-click on the desktop, Applications, Settings Manager, Window Manager Tweaks, Focus, click the 'Activate focus stealing prevention' box.

Martin_Mucha
July 23rd, 2015, 06:55 AM
There must have been upgrade to this feature; last time I try this it was completely unusable. This time it ± works, except for opening some applications using shortcuts — weird, but xterm will not get focus, while chrome for instance gets.
Thanks for making me tryhing this feature again, much better now.
M.

Martin_Mucha
July 23rd, 2015, 07:00 AM
there's some similar xml (where are the times, when wml were considered superb?) for xfce as well, but there's only ability to turn stealing prevention on, I cannot see there any options how to parameterize it.