PDA

View Full Version : Help me set up my 3 monitors as one large display

PsychedelicWonders
July 18th, 2015, 11:41 PM
So I have three 24" dell monitors hooked up via two dual Asus Nvidia 9800GT video cards.

On windows I am able to have them all work together as one large desktop, being able to drag any window or program wherever I want. I am NOT trying to SLI them into a single monitor. Right now only 2 actually seem to be active under Ubuntu and I can't seem to get to the 2nd monitor and they both show the task bar on the side. They aren't mirrored because whatever program I have open does not display on the 2nd monitor.

What do I need to do?

I'm also getting the following error message upon bootup & getting to the initial Ubuntu login screen & also once I login it pops up again:

Could Not Switch the Monitor Configuration
Could not set the the configuration for CRTC 64

What does that mean and will this error message go away once I get all 3 of my monitors setup correctly?

tgalati4
July 19th, 2015, 04:10 AM
Your limitation may be the default "superdesktop" resolution of 8096 pixels. The xorg graphics server paints the display on a superdesktop and your monitors are overlayed on an 8K by 8K grid. Page through the log file and see what turns up.

Open a terminal:

more /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Spacebar to page forward, "q" to quit.

Just post the errors or things that look strange. Don't post the entire file.

PsychedelicWonders
July 19th, 2015, 04:13 AM
I have no idea what to look for and that's a lot of code to read through... is there a way to search for something inside of the terminal?