PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to Install/Uninstall Programs from Software Center

shashankvns
July 18th, 2015, 11:26 PM
Hello everyone:

Due to some reasons, I am unable to install and/or uninstall any program(s) from the Ubuntu software center, and I am getting an error message "You don't have the required privileges to perform this action.". When I look into the details, this is what I see: "org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.Error.NotAuthorized: ('system-bus-name', {'name': ':1.99'}): org.debian.apt.install-or-remove-packages".

Could someone please help me to resolve this issue?

Thanks
Shashank

TheFu
July 19th, 2015, 01:36 AM
Open a terminal and run 'id' - please post the results.

Any chance either the passwd or group files were modified?

shashankvns
July 19th, 2015, 05:02 AM
Hi, Thank you for your reply, and I am not sure about passwd or group files were modified or not. If possible, could you please help me to fix it.

Thanks

TheFu
July 19th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Results?

Bucky Ball
July 19th, 2015, 01:55 PM
We can't help you do much unless you read and follow our instructions so we can have information to work with.

Open a terminal and run 'id' - please post the results.

Thanks. :)

shashankvns
July 22nd, 2015, 03:07 AM
Hi:

I apologize for not sharing the result earlier, and it seems that the problem is fixed for now. However, I am still copying the results below so that you could find if there are any anomalies.

amrita@amrita:~$ id
uid=1000(amrita) gid=1000(amrita) groups=1000(amrita),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(d ip),46(plugdev),108(lpadmin),124(sambashare)
amrita@amrita:~$

Thanks

Bucky Ball
July 22nd, 2015, 03:41 AM
Nope. If the problem is fixed, please outline how you fixed it and mark the thread as solved to help others. See the first link in my signature. Thanks.

shashankvns
July 23rd, 2015, 12:31 AM
It may sound a bit strange but I do not recall doing anything to fix the problem; somehow it got fixed on its own (may be after an update). I am sorry I am very new to Ubuntu, and have no idea how it got fixed, and that's why I thought to share the results to get comments from others.