What is the best way to run eclipse on Ubuntu 6.06
a) using Ubuntu packages - gives you 3.1.2 and NOT all plugins
a1) and then add plugins using Help>Software Configuration

or

b) download eclipse and install that to /usr/local/eclipse
b1) then just add whatever you want using eclipse.org

Considerations
* Ubuntu 6.06 seems to only offer 3.1.2
* Eclipse released 3.2 on 6/30 (a month ago)
* Some plugins are not available from the four Ubuntu repositories
* On one of my Ubuntu-package-installs eclipse, plugins installed broken. That makes you feel a little powerless (I got a slew of physical and virtual machines)
* Are there risks with using Ubuntu eclipse and then add-on stuff using eclipse, maybe even update eclipse itself?

Greatful for any insides,

Buntu-san

DeadEyes
August 4th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Eclipse is pretty self contained, extract the tar and everything is there in one folder. So I would go with option B.

vdemeester
August 4th, 2006, 09:56 AM
the b) solution is the best.

I use Eclipse 3.2 in /opt/eclipse/. You must have the sun-jdk installed if you don't want to have any bugs. You can see the Callisto Project (http://www.eclipse.org/callisto/).

Callisto is about improving the productivity of the developers working on top of Eclipse frameworks by providing a more transparent and predictable development cycle. By releasing 10 projects at the same time, the goal is to eliminate uncertainty about version compatibility and make it easier to incorporate multiple projects into your environment.

Roland Bouman
August 9th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Hi!

I installed eclipse 3.2. too in /opt/eclipse. Alas, it eats up my processor (which should not be the case - my machine is powerful enough) and eventually it crashes with an out of memory error.

I also installed the java 1.5 environment from sun. However, I can't find a way to have eclipse use that environment (jvm etc.)

What must i do to have eclipse use the sun jvm?

Thanks in advance,

Roland

[QUOTE=vdemeester;1336915]the b) solution is the best.

I use Eclipse 3.2 in /opt/eclipse/. You must have the sun-jdk installed if you don't want to have any bugs. You can see the

hod139
August 10th, 2006, 01:57 PM
I also installed the java 1.5 environment from sun. However, I can't find a way to have eclipse use that environment (jvm etc.)

I wrote up a howto (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=201378) for setting up Sun's java and the repository version of eclipse. You should be able to follow that howto, ignoring the steps for installing eclipse and looking at only the java instructions. My guess is that you need to run the command

sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-1.5.0-sun

javarunner
August 10th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Eclipse 3.2 - latest release - is available for Ubuntu. I just installed it and it seems to work just fine. :D

[h2o]
August 11th, 2006, 08:34 AM
I would do B as well. Some plugins (like pyDev) requires the latest Eclipse, which means having the one from the repositories is difficult.

groberts1980
August 13th, 2006, 12:41 AM
I am trying to install Eclipse using Synaptic, but I get this error when its downloading:

E: emacs21: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
E: cedet-common: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: eieio: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: speedbar: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Any help or ideas?

Also, I downloaded jdk-1_5_0_08-linux-i586.bin and decompressed it in the terminal, but it just created a folder on the desktop and unpacked it there. I'm not sure if its installed or not. When you download a bin or rpm.bin file, what is the correct way and place to install it?

Update: I tried installig jdk1.5 using Synaptec and got the same error message as the one above, when I tried installing Eclipse.

How can I get jdk1.5 and Eclipse installed?

Updated update: After all the errors whilst installing, jdk and Eclipse is up and running after all.

groberts1980
August 13th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I've tried installing a few other programs through Synaptec, but still get this error:

E: emacs21: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
E: cedet-common: dependency problems - leaving unconfiguredlear
E: eieio: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: speedbar: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Any idea how to clear this up?

Roland Bouman
August 16th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Hi,

and sorry for not posting back sooner - I just couldt get it to work any sooner (lack of time)

I wrote up a howto (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=201378) for setting up Sun's java and the repository version of eclipse. You should be able to follow that howto, ignoring the steps for installing eclipse and looking at only the java instructions. My guess is that you need to run the command

Thanks! I first installed java 1.5 manually, but it did not seem to work. The, I used to automatix install, and that worked fine.

sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-1.5.0-sun

Thanks! this works great!

After having done this, my manually installed eclipse 3.2 runs perfectly smooth. I Really appreciate it

Bye,
Roland