PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with starting linux after installing updates

Constantinus_Spin
July 16th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Hello, after i installed my ubuntu updates, i switched off and then started my laptop, and although ubuntu was loaded, i had blank screen. What could be the problem?

howefield
July 16th, 2015, 12:59 PM
With that description, one of a thousand things maybe :)

Can you get to a command prompt with Ctrl + Alt + F1 ?

Constantinus_Spin
July 16th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Yes i can.

Constantinus_Spin
July 16th, 2015, 01:29 PM
I tried to start ubuntu using previous ubuntu kernels (the latest is 3.13.0-57-generic) and i got into it using 3.13.0-55-generic. But i noticed that instead of using the NVIDIA drivers, it used the Intel graphics drivers. And when i started nvidia-settings to change from intel to nvidia, i got a message window with no words but the sign of forbiding the change.

howefield
July 16th, 2015, 01:35 PM
I'd remove the nvidia drivers, boot into the new kernel which should then be using the nouveau drivers for your card - then re-enable the proprietary driver.

Constantinus_Spin
July 20th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Interestingly, when i press Ctrl+Alt+F1, i get into terminal mode. But when i execute startx, loading start but then freezes and when i press again Ctrl+Alt+F1, i see the loading process(Initializing ...., Loadgin ........, etc) and in the end i get the same message three times:

Warning: Symbol map for key <KPDL> redifined
Using last definition for conflicting fields

Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server.

At the end of the second repetition of that message, the process freezes.

sudodus
July 20th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Did you remove the proprietary drivers? In that case, did anything change in the boot sequence?

Have you tried some boot options (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions), for example nomodeset?

Scroll down to 'Changing boot options Temporarily for an Existing Installation'