PDA

View Full Version : Google is being annoying on my Moto G

coldraven
July 14th, 2015, 12:39 PM
I have the BBC weather app on my Moto G. It was working very nicely but now it won't. When I switch on location the the system settings Google pops up a box that says that I have to have Google assist enabled. There is checkbox "Don't show this again" and "Agree" and "Disagree" buttons.
If I select "Don't show this again" the option to disagree is greyed out. If I just press "Disagree" then the app does not work. I get the feeling that Google wants to know my location when all I want to do is check the weather forecast and it's none of their business where I am doing it :(
Surely the GPS thing should just work on its own! </rant>

I need to research rooting this phone or dumping it for an Ubuntu phone.

user1397
July 14th, 2015, 12:48 PM
I'd probably blame the bbc weather app in this case. Perhaps they changed their policy and now they rely on google more? I'm not sure.

Either way have you tried using another weather app? There's like a million... I use one called simply "weather" by macropinch, I like it because it displays the weather in the notification area on the top left so you can see it at all times.

tgalati4
July 14th, 2015, 02:54 PM
I have not used the BBC wx app, but perhaps you have a custom location in your location listing. Try deleting all locations. Then set one location using Postal Code only. Uncheck any preferences in the app that say "Use Current Location". Any location that requires GPS will normally force the app to ask the phone for GPS location (and that framework is now part of Google Assist).

If that doesn't work, then I would follow the suggestion by ubuntuman001 and just find another wx app. There are several. But yes, I want an Ubuntu phone as well, but they are not available in the US yet.

coldraven
July 15th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Thanks, I just wanted to get this off my chest. <damn google>

khade_putra
July 16th, 2015, 09:30 AM
now you can sit back and relax... ;)

leclerc65
July 16th, 2015, 04:01 PM
I turn off 'Location' on my phone & tablet most of the time. Battery hog.

coldraven
July 22nd, 2015, 06:47 PM
Sorry but I've had guests for a few days and have been busy showing them around. If I resolve this I will get back to this thread. In the meantime thanks for all the comments.

RichardET
July 22nd, 2015, 08:19 PM
I have the BBC weather app on my Moto G. It was working very nicely but now it won't. When I switch on location the the system settings Google pops up a box that says that I have to have Google assist enabled. There is checkbox "Don't show this again" and "Agree" and "Disagree" buttons.
If I select "Don't show this again" the option to disagree is greyed out. If I just press "Disagree" then the app does not work. I get the feeling that Google wants to know my location when all I want to do is check the weather forecast and it's none of their business where I am doing it :(
Surely the GPS thing should just work on its own! </rant>

I need to research rooting this phone or dumping it for an Ubuntu phone.

Oh well, use a browser or call time & temp.