PDA

View Full Version : CD installation fails on network configureation

joe135
July 12th, 2015, 01:36 AM
Hi, I'm rather new to Ubuntu. I had a ubuntu 14.04 partition installed on my computer, but the windowing environment never worked quite well. So, I figured I'd reinstall it. I don't have a DVD handy, but I did have a CD, so I burnt the mini.iso to CD, booted from it, and tried to install 14.04 LTS. However, after it asks for my wireless ESSID, Ubuntu complains no network can be found:

Your network is probably not using the DCHP protocol. Alternatively, the DHCP server may be slow or some network hardware is not working properly.

I am guessing the problem is there is no driver for my wireless dongle, a Linksys compact wireless-G USB adapter. The network has worked find with Ubuntu and Fedora in the past.

Any suggestions on what should I try next? I'm guessing I need to burn an installation DVD rather than use the mini.iso.

Vladlenin5000
July 12th, 2015, 03:05 AM
I'm guessing I need to burn an installation DVD rather than use the mini.iso.

Exactly. The minimal CD should be used with Ethernet - the vast majority of Ethernet cards are supported - or with a known good and supported WiFi device.

Bucky Ball
July 12th, 2015, 05:25 AM
Exactly. The minimal CD should be used with Ethernet - the vast majority of Ethernet cards are supported - or with a known good and supported WiFi device.

^^^
This. Unless you can get an ethernet cable to the machine. A mini install much lighter, depending on what you shovel on top of the base kernel, of course. ;)

joe135
July 13th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Thanks all, I'll try and find a DVD to burn.

Bucky Ball
July 13th, 2015, 05:39 PM
You can use a USB dongle if you have one instead of a disk.