PDA

View Full Version : Is there a list of packages not installed on a reinstall of the os

Robbyx
July 10th, 2015, 06:25 PM
"An error occurred whilst restoring previously installed packages. The installation will continue but you may have to manually reinstall some applications after the computer reboots."

This message came at the end of a reinstall of Ubuntu 14.04. It would be helpful if I knew which applications had not been reinstalled. Is there a log somewhere?

Bashing-om
July 10th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Robbyx; Ouch;

A very open ended question, that can have any number of different answers.

This message came at the end of a reinstall of Ubuntu 14.04.

Begs the question that of internet connectivity ? A wired connection in use ?

3rd party software ? In the (RE-)install process, did you dis-able all 3rd party sources ?

To see the current status of installed/not installed packages, run terminal commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo dpkg -C

With these results we get an indication of where to go from here.

Is there a log somewhere?

Maybe, take a look at:

cat /var/log/dpkg.log
for anything interesting.

ain't nothing but a thing

Robbyx
July 11th, 2015, 12:21 AM
Thanks. I went ahead and manually installed all the programs having config files in my home directory. It seems to have worked but it is not very helpful of Ubuntu to report that there has been a failure to reinstall all the programs and not indicate which ones failed!

kansasnoob
July 11th, 2015, 01:05 AM
When you perform an upgrade or reinstallation using the live media the logs are created in /ubiquity-apt-clone rather than /var/log:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2242056&p=13111389#post13111389

That said I've never really spent the time to parse the logs myself.