PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] QT application menus not dropping down properly on primary monitor on right hand side

daitau2
July 8th, 2015, 08:44 AM
I am using Gnome Shell on my laptop. My setup includes two external monitors sitting side by side with the laptop lid closed (so effectively I am still using two monitors only.) I have set up the monitor in front of me as primary and the one on the left as secondary. Now whenever I use any QT-based applications (vlc, virtualbox, skype, smplayer, etc) the drop down menu will not show up if the application is run on the primary monitor (see below for a screenshot, where the menu item "Audio" is highlighted but the corresponding menu failed to drop down.)

I have searched around but it seems it is not a common problem. I can work around this by either:

moving the application window so that they are displayed on the secondary monitor (but it would be inconvenient and I cannot enjoy video on primary monitor)
make the monitor on the left hand side to be primary, but Gnome Shell puts everything on primary monitor, so it will be awkward to work with various desktop elements (top bar, overview etc)

Any ideas to fix this annoying behavior will be much appreciated.

DT