PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Should I install Ubuntu 14.04 now or wait for the 14.04.3 version till August?

hoveringfalcon
July 8th, 2015, 06:20 AM
I will be installing through mini-CD to get the encypted-LVM system.
Shame that Ubuntu doesn't allow encrypted-LVM through its normal installation procedure. Its like Government & Microsoft colluded to destory the TrueCrypt.

dino99
July 8th, 2015, 08:05 AM
you will get better & easier results with the latest release; 14.04 is too old

Bucky Ball
July 8th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Install now. It is at 14.04.2. The .3 updates will come down the line in due time if you just keep updating your system.

The results won't be that much different so unsure of this. I have NO idea what this is based on:

The 'results', whatever they refer to as not specified, but let's guess as 'user experience', will be pretty much identical in .2 as they are in .3. Also, 14.04 LTS is at .2, but regardless of the point release, it is not old and is the most current LTS release, supported for five years until April 2019, and waiting for .3 is a wasting time in which you could be learning Ubuntu.

So by all means, go ahead and install, and welcome to the forums. :)

Skaperen
July 8th, 2015, 10:00 AM
go ahead and install 14.04 now. then do an sudo apt-get upgrade or sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and then it will be at the 14.04.2 level. keep it upgraded if you are using it online.

slickymaster
July 8th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Install now. It is at 14.04.2. The .3 updates will come down the line in due time if you just keep updating your system.

The results won't be that much different so unsure of this. I have NO idea what this is based on:

Originally Posted by dino99

The 'results', whatever they refer to as not specified, but let's guess as 'user experience', will be pretty much identical in .2 as they are in .3. Also, 14.04 LTS is at .2, but regardless of the point release, it is not old and is the most current LTS release, supported for five years until April 2015, and waiting for .3 is a wasting time in which you could be learning Ubuntu.

So by all means, go ahead and install, and welcome to the forums. :)
+1

Skaperen
July 8th, 2015, 10:09 AM
It is at 14.04.2.

looks like the TS will be installing from a mini-CD. he/she should still go ahead even if it is 14.04.0 and then upgrade to be at the latest.

+1

howefield
July 8th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Won't matter when you install, using the minimal install you will be on the 13.3 kernel series whether you install now or in August. I don't believe point releases are produced for the mini.iso.

If you want the hardware enablement stack that will come with 14.04.3, you will have to manually install in any event.

WillFull
July 8th, 2015, 03:26 PM
it is not old and is the most current LTS release, supported for five years until April 2015

I'm assuming you meant April 2020?

Bucky Ball
July 8th, 2015, 05:37 PM
I'm assuming you meant April 2020?

Thanks Willfull. No, I meant April 2019. April 2014> April 2019 = 5 years support.

14.= 2014, .04 = April. April 2014. :)

I have edited my post.

@howefield: I only use minimal installs. I have had 14.04 installed since about a month after release and it went to .2 awhile ago so guess they do send the point releases to minimals too. :)

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

deadflowr
July 8th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Shame that Ubuntu doesn't allow encrypted-LVM through its normal installation procedure. Its like Government & Microsoft colluded to destory the TrueCrypt.

It does.
It offered it for me.
But I think it only gives the option for a whole disk to be encrypted.

hoveringfalcon
July 8th, 2015, 08:32 PM
go ahead and install 14.04 now. then do an sudo apt-get upgrade or sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and then it will be at the 14.04.2 level. keep it upgraded if you are using it online.
I checked the version just after fishing the mini-install (also installed Ubuntu Desktop, ofcourse), it showed 14.04.2 already.

It does.
It offered it for me.
But I think it only gives the option for a whole disk to be encrypted.
I wasn't taking about FDE/WDE (Full/Whole Disk Encryption), but encrypted Ubuntu installation, which can reside with Windows on same drive. I wanted LVM based encrytion installation which every other major destro offers in its regular installer.

Thanks to everyone for replying.

howefield
July 8th, 2015, 09:15 PM
@howefield: I only use minimal installs. I have had 14.04 installed since about a month after release and it went to .2 awhile ago so guess they do send the point releases to minimals too. :)

Then you'll know that point releases are not produced for mini.iso.

The iso image is the same whether you install now or download it after 14.04.3 is released, applying updates after that will obviously take the installation to .2 or .3 ect, ect, on the 14.04 base set of packages.

Bucky Ball
July 9th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Then you'll know that point releases are not produced for mini.iso.

The iso image is the same whether you install now or download it after 14.04.3 is released, applying updates after that will obviously take the installation to .2 or .3 ect, ect, on the 14.04 base set of packages.

Ah, okay. Now I get what you're saying. Crossed wires there I think on my part. :)