PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] lost everything

neelam2
July 5th, 2015, 05:14 PM
AFter losing my desktop on ubuntu 14, installed on win 8.1 hp amd64 machine, I tried to fix it by running via ubuntu usb bootable drive. I tried something else option but changed my mind and quit. But it screwed my grub making me to be able to start to any os (neither win 8 or ubuntu). Then again booted via bootable usb. First it was showing partititons and drives but on second boot via usb againn, it even stopped showing drives.
After trying testdisk tool, somehow I managed to get partitions back, and login to ubuntu (with same crashed desktop as original, not usb one) but still couldn't login to windows.
Then thinking that reinstalling ubuntu would fix both desktop and grub, I happened to choose "erase disk and instsall ubuntu..." option, which did the real mess up. I lost all partiotions, data. Now I have new fresh ubuntu installed on my machine but everything else gone.

Please, tell me if there is a way to restore back to get windows and data again.

yancek
July 6th, 2015, 12:01 AM
Based on the option you selected "erase disk and install ubuntu" the chances aren't good but testdisk is probably the best bet.