PDA

View Full Version : How much time do you dedicate to learning to code (or anything)?

cwblanch
July 1st, 2015, 10:05 PM
Hey there,

So I've been trying to learn to code (Python) for several years now, on and off. But I just can't seem to find the motivation to keep it consistently in my routines because there is also other things I'd like to, and have to be doing.
So I'm wondering what other people do to get around this.
I've tried small increments of time (I've been using CodeAcademy recently), like a lesson or two. But then I either forget or blow it off cause it's usually later in the afternoon/evening. I've also tried longer sessions so it may be "worth it", but then it gets daunting to actually sit down and do it rather than pick up a book or something.

I realize the eventual answer is to just DO IT, and I intend to. But I'd like to hear other's experiences trying to learn something new.

grahammechanical
July 1st, 2015, 11:30 PM
For me, learning is like a shelf that has lots of small blocks sitting on it. Each of the blocks represents something I have learned. When I learn something new it is like putting another block on the shelf at one end of it. And when I do that a block of knowledge and experience falls off the shelf at the other end!

Such is life.

mikodo
July 2nd, 2015, 04:36 AM
For me, learning is like a shelf that has lots of small blocks sitting on it. Each of the blocks represents something I have learned. When I learn something new it is like putting another block on the shelf at one end of it. And when I do that a block of knowledge and experience falls off the shelf at the other end!

Such is life.
I started with computers and Ubuntu in my latter 50's. Now, in my 60"s, one damn block won't stay up on the shelf. I'm not too down on this as, I know that long-term memory is much more durable and lasting. I just don't have any long-term learning in this technology, and at my age, it ain't gonna happen.

You made me laugh!

QIII
July 2nd, 2015, 05:12 AM
As I get older, I find my mind is more and more like a steel trap. A rusty one.

Stuff gets in it, I think. But I can never get anything back out.

Anyway... The best way to learn to program is to have something you want to do with an end product. Plowing through a bunch of lessons is sure to drive you crazy. You still have to learn the lessons, of course, but watch for a way you can make use of what you have learned in some other project or context. It's a lot more fun if you grit your teeth through a lesson, think about what you might do with it and construct a "practical exercise" that tickles your fancy. Do something off the wall and play with it. Get excited about what you have done. Solve a problem with your new knowledge. That's what programming is, really.

There are some texts that teach the lessons as part of a path to creating some large, worthwhile project in the end. IF you use one of them you are moving towards something rather than just learning a bunch of independent parts.

Bucky Ball
July 2nd, 2015, 06:52 AM
Research show that longer sessions are not necessarily 'worth it'. If you don't study for an exam all semester there's no way you're going to nail it by putting in twelve hours study the day before. Same applies. Twenty minutes or half and hour a day will reap way more benefits than twelve hours in one sitting once a month. Just do it everyday for some length of time. It is proven to be the most effective way of learning anything.

If it was possible to learn much from marathon sessions once in awhile I'd be an associate professor in a couple of weeks. That's why it takes years, not weeks, to get there. It's about practice and persistence, not swallowing it all in one gulp. The latter usually leads to unpleasant regurgitation and a nasty taste in the mouth. :)

cwblanch
July 2nd, 2015, 05:03 PM
As I get older, I find my mind is more and more like a steel trap. A rusty one.

Stuff gets in it, I think. But I can never get anything back out.

Anyway... The best way to learn to program is to have something you want to do with an end product. Plowing through a bunch of lessons is sure to drive you crazy. You still have to learn the lessons, of course, but watch for a way you can make use of what you have learned in some other project or context. It's a lot more fun if you grit your teeth through a lesson, think about what you might do with it and construct a "practical exercise" that tickles your fancy. Do something off the wall and play with it. Get excited about what you have done. Solve a problem with your new knowledge. That's what programming is, really.

There are some texts that teach the lessons as part of a path to creating some large, worthwhile project in the end. IF you use one of them you are moving towards something rather than just learning a bunch of independent parts.

I think that's one issue I'm having with learning to program. I don't really have a clear end goal, both for while I'm working on it and when I get fairly proficient in it.
What would be an example for a project at the end of an exercise? When I try to come up with one for where I'm at, (still the really early stuff) I just come up with nothing. Mostly because I'm not sure what I could work on.

Research show that longer sessions are not necessarily 'worth it'. If you don't study for an exam all semester there's no way you're going to nail it by putting in twelve hours study the day before. Same applies. Twenty minutes or half and hour a day will reap way more benefits than twelve hours in one sitting once a month. Just do it everyday for some length of time. It is proven to be the most effective way of learning anything.

If it was possible to learn much from marathon sessions once in awhile I'd be an associate professor in a couple of weeks. That's why it takes years, not weeks, to get there. It's about practice and persistence, not swallowing it all in one gulp. The latter usually leads to unpleasant regurgitation and a nasty taste in the mouth. :)

Okay I understand that, and it totally makes sense. That's probably why I've had less luck with the longer sessions. I'll work on the shorter ones.

Habitual
July 2nd, 2015, 07:19 PM
I've been in IT for two decades and I have only recently begun my education in things python.
I have only coded bash shell scripts in the past and I consider it "old hat" now, if I still have to do so.
I am currently working on AWS 'reporting' using boto (2.38.0) (http://boto.readthedocs.org/en/latest/#) over python2.x
Surprisingly, for a non-coder, I have made gratifying progress on a daily basis, and that is my sole goal.
I only mess with, or try one enhancement per day for my script.
I have purchased all three O'Reilly Books by Mark Lutz.

vq1
July 2nd, 2015, 08:33 PM
I have no background in coding. I just recently have been trying to learn it as a hobby. Without knowing ANYTHING about the hamsters inside my computer than run on wheels and move electrons around; this article was very helpful in understanding the general concept- http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-paul-ford-what-is-code/

I have also been trying to learn python. I've had good luck trying to learn it for a specific reason. I am interested in economics so I have been following tutorials for using python for "Quant" purposes. Its usually more motivating when you're trying to learn something to complete a goal besides just for the sake of learning.

It is very rewarding when you get something to work as intended.

buzzingrobot
July 2nd, 2015, 08:44 PM
Zip. Nada. No time at all.

In ancient days, I was reasonably conversant with C and a couple of other languages. But, it has been a very long time since I had a reason to write any source code. So, it's much like spending several years learning a second language and then finding you have no reason to use it because no one you know uses that language.

Without a reason to write something, there's no motivation to do stay current on C or any other language.

rg4w
July 2nd, 2015, 10:30 PM
Malcolm Gladwell suggests the distance between noobie and master in any field is about 10,000 hours. In some areas it's okay to be merely competent, so just a few hundred hours may suffice. But to become good at anything it needs to be inherently interesting, or the time just won't be spent with it.

Python's a great language, but there are many languages and each offers a different take on the art of programming. If Python isn't exciting enough for you personally that you can barely tear yourself away from it, find another that really excites you.

If you're looking for something really different you might consider LiveCode: http://www.livecode.com Their Community Edition is GPL and I've been enjoying it for many years.

But there are others as well. Keep looking. Sooner or later you'll come across one that feels so right for you personally that you won't have to worry about spending enough time with it; the problem will become instead making time to set it aside to do other things you're supposed to do. :)

jamesdesbyrne
July 3rd, 2015, 12:56 AM
Hi there, I'm currently working my way through a computer science degree so I have a good idea of what its like to be learning to code.

I 100% agree with the people before me, find something your interested in doing and do that. Don't worry about learning the language or framework just figure out how to do that. This way you will learn about the process of learning, learn about different parts of a framework, get an idea of where to go next and achieve something at the end of it. At the end of the day your asking yourself to put a significant amount of time into something that can be very very frustrating at times. You want to have a reason too do it.

Don't worry too much about what language to start with. Bar one or two strange languages most languages just differ on syntax, the important thing is that you understand the concepts behind the code e.g. I don't care if you can memorize the syntax of a language if you don't understand what inheritance is. As I learn I find I forget more of the low level stuff and its replaced with APIs and the more abstract concepts.

One of the things that helped me a lot was finding the best way I learned. I prefer to sit down and just do a task, some prefer to read, watch or listen. I find the codeacademy stuff fairly good as well but it might not be your learning style. Having someone more knowledgeable than you is probably the best solution though.

Overall though just have fun with it, its not your main job and as I said it can be frustrating at times. Also I stumbled across this recently and you may find it useful, its basically real developers coding in real time. https://www.livecoding.tv/

Cheers
James

cwblanch
July 3rd, 2015, 07:31 PM
Hi there, I'm currently working my way through a computer science degree so I have a good idea of what its like to be learning to code.

I 100% agree with the people before me, find something your interested in doing and do that. Don't worry about learning the language or framework just figure out how to do that. This way you will learn about the process of learning, learn about different parts of a framework, get an idea of where to go next and achieve something at the end of it. At the end of the day your asking yourself to put a significant amount of time into something that can be very very frustrating at times. You want to have a reason too do it.

Don't worry too much about what language to start with. Bar one or two strange languages most languages just differ on syntax, the important thing is that you understand the concepts behind the code e.g. I don't care if you can memorize the syntax of a language if you don't understand what inheritance is. As I learn I find I forget more of the low level stuff and its replaced with APIs and the more abstract concepts.

One of the things that helped me a lot was finding the best way I learned. I prefer to sit down and just do a task, some prefer to read, watch or listen. I find the codeacademy stuff fairly good as well but it might not be your learning style. Having someone more knowledgeable than you is probably the best solution though.

Overall though just have fun with it, its not your main job and as I said it can be frustrating at times. Also I stumbled across this recently and you may find it useful, its basically real developers coding in real time. https://www.livecoding.tv/

Cheers
James

My current goal is to be going to college for a computer science degree too. I just need to wait until next term to start.

But I guess my current goal for learning to program would be to make a game. To gain that level of knowledge.

I'm not actually sure how I learn right now. But I do enjoy having a project and then making it work. Just not sure what projects to pick up for early on learning.
And that's an awesome streaming site. I'm watching it right now.

jamesdesbyrne
July 4th, 2015, 12:20 AM
Since your looking to start on a degree then it would be no harm to find out the languages or frameworks that you will be using in your college. This will give you a bit of a leg up later on especially when you start getting assignments.

rewyllys
July 5th, 2015, 01:10 PM
With respect to the question of how much time I spend learning, I'm fond of taking MOOCs from Coursera, eDx, and the like. Typically, when I'm in such a course, I spend 3-4 hours per day on the course. (Fortunately, I'm retired, so I'm free from the time constraints that many people on these Forums suffer from.)

cwblanch
July 5th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Since your looking to start on a degree then it would be no harm to find out the languages or frameworks that you will be using in your college. This will give you a bit of a leg up later on especially when you start getting assignments.

That's a good idea, I should look into that.
Do you have any ideas on what's commonly used on colleges?

With respect to the question of how much time I spend learning, I'm fond of taking MOOCs from Coursera, eDx, and the like. Typically, when I'm in such a course, I spend 3-4 hours per day on the course. (Fortunately, I'm retired, so I'm free from the time constraints that many people on these Forums suffer from.)

All that free time sure would be nice, but I'm not sure if I would be able to commit myself to that long each course, per day.
As you're retired why do you keep learning from sites like that?

rewyllys
July 6th, 2015, 04:33 PM
. . . . All that free time sure would be nice, but I'm not sure if I would be able to commit myself to that long each course, per day.
Forgive me for being blunt, but your question strikes me as just plain weird.

Should retirement be about vegetating, watching meaningless television, and/or reading comic books?

I've spent my life enjoying learning things: mathematics, statistics, computers (this September, I'll celebrate the 63rd anniversary of writing my first computer program), foreign languages, music composition, astronomy, physics, history of science . . . I could go on, but that should give you the general idea.

When I lose interest in learning new things, I'll be either on the verge of death, or a victim of dementia.

nerdtron
July 6th, 2015, 08:36 PM
I guess learning Linux (or anything in general) takes and will and passion. When I was learning Linux for work, I wasn't motivated to study because it's required or because of money matters. My main motivation was my curiosity about Linux and computers in general.

On my free time, lunch break, dinner break, before going to bed I was able to read most of the books that gave me a head start on using Linux. I didn't felt the burden on reading a lot of materials. I'm enjoying reading these books/materials. I guess the advise I can give it to make learning fun and enjoyable.

bashiergui
July 8th, 2015, 12:59 AM
Should retirement be about vegetating, watching meaningless television, and/or reading comic books?Only if you're doing it wrong ;-)

I have a job that requires I constantly learn. That provides the immediate goals of learning something new, plus they tend to foot the bill when I can justify it. It wouldn't matter though. I would seek out new knowledge regardless because it's who I am.

mikodo
July 8th, 2015, 08:25 AM
All that free time sure would be nice, but I'm not sure if I would be able to commit myself to that long each course, per day.
I kid about not being able to remember anything as I am in my sixties now. Truth is, I still work full-time in a very demanding profession, that keeps me learning and taxes me to the max. My grandfather worked full-time until he was 75, my dad part-time to 74 and my mom till she was 73. Both my mom and dad were taking university courses for fun, while they worked in their 70's. Both my parents are both alive still but, have slowed down in their latter 80's.

Learning should be promoted more for good health for the elderly. It has rewards for all ages. Not just the young.

If I could pull the plug right now from work, I would do the same. I like this technology. That's the key. Find what you like, and it is fun not work. I have a co-worker in her middle 70's now, that knows more about our profession than anyone, 1/3 her age. She doesn't need to work, just like likes it. That should be everyone's goal. Try to keep moving on in our careers until one enjoys doing it more than anything else. Sociologists say that about 10% of population, actually are there. Lucky? well sure, but they no doubt made choices to do that, sometimes tough choices, that may have had a gamble or risk to it. I know I rambled off topic but, LEARNING IS A NECESSITY IN LIFE. Some choose to learn skills and aptitudes to be able to do drugs all day. I can talk about that too. done it from pot to opiates and just about everything in between.

What do you see yourself doing in retirement bye the bye ...

user1397
July 10th, 2015, 12:32 PM
I'm doing an IT bachelor's degree currently, and programming isn't the main focus, but it is something I should probably focus on more. I'm thinking I might go the sysadmin route but even that requires some programming knowledge.

I admit I have been bad at focusing on learning programming. I just have no consistency. It's weird because like others in this thread I like learning things on my own all the time, and I got into linux and computers in general completely out of curiosity on my own when I was 15. What I find weird is that now I don't have that same curiosity/drive for programming as I did for learning linux when I was 15.

It's really frustrating because it would be a hell of a lot easier if I could just focus on it but I don't know what it is... :(

jamesdesbyrne
July 11th, 2015, 01:27 PM
That's a good idea, I should look into that.
Do you have any ideas on what's commonly used on colleges?

Totally depends on the college in question. I started with learning C, Assembly, HTML, CSS and other really low level/basic stuff so that we understood how it all worked from the ground up. At the same time I know people that started with java which is miles away from C. Best thing to do is to email a lecturer at the college and find out.

Otherwise I would focus on learning the basics of programming. So taking a course from codecademy on python for instance would be a good start. There you will learn the real basics and then you can build on top of that. Most of what you will learn will be transferable to other languages just with different synatax, if statements, for loops etc . Beyond that look into building something, codecademy provides a few really nice courses on Ruby on Rails, building websites and mostly web based stuff.

mikodo
July 11th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Snippets:
It's weird because like others in this thread I like learning things on my own all the time, and I got into linux and computers in general completely out of curiosity on my own when I was 15. What I find weird is that now I don't have that same curiosity/drive for programming as I did for learning linux when I was 15.
It's really frustrating because it would be a hell of a lot easier if I could just focus on it but I don't know what it is... :(It's not really weird. You are finding out where you are at now and what you like. That's a good thing.

I understand the frustration. Sometimes one needs to just plod through learning what is necessary, to reach a goal. I liked chemistry as subject in high school, and almost studied Chemical Technology in secondary school, (as an adult). But, I choose another path (that was a good choice for me, as it turns out). But like you, when I got to studying organic chemistry, I hated it. Where I am at today, I have no need for that knowledge in my work. ... (this, just from my experience).

My best.

tech291083
July 12th, 2015, 05:22 PM
Hey there,

So I've been trying to learn to code (Python) for several years now, on and off.

Same here. I have learned, although after a lot of hard work, at least the basics of PHP and C. Bit of HTML and CSS to go with them. But I have learned very little in the last decade or so.

I still have the motivation and I keep learning Linux related things and occasionally keep blogging. I also have managed to create a local Linux group of people whom I teach Linux basics. I am no expert, but I know some basic Linux stuff well enough to teach others who know nothing about it. But I must confess that all my Linux related knowledge comes from YouTube and dedicated Linux forums like this one, so hats of to all of you here. You are all my teachers.

Now, I want to write some pretty basic apps for my Android mobiles and also for friends' mobile in Java. I have downloaded Android Studio as well but that is all I have progressed so far. Has anyone of you taught yourself Android app development?

Thanks.

tech291083
July 12th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Don't worry too much about what language to start with. Bar one or two strange languages most languages just differ on syntax, the important thing is that you understand the concepts behind the code...

Well said, thanks

https://www.livecoding.tv/

Oh, this is like my dream come true. thanks live coding. the world is a changed placed now, much more coded.But shame that one has to log in. It should be live on YouTube.

tech291083
July 12th, 2015, 05:49 PM
When I lose interest in learning new things, I'll be either on the verge of death, or a victim of dementia.

I salute your enthusiasm. Good luck, sir.

fidel5
July 12th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Malcolm Gladwell suggests the distance between noobie and master in any field is about 10,000 hours. In some areas it's okay to be merely competent, so just a few hundred hours may suffice. But to become good at anything it needs to be inherently interesting, or the time just won't be spent with it.

Python's a great language, but there are many languages and each offers a different take on the art of programming. If Python isn't exciting enough for you personally that you can barely tear yourself away from it, find another that really excites you.

If you're looking for something really different you might consider LiveCode: http://www.livecode.com Their Community Edition is GPL and I've been enjoying it for many years.

But there are others as well. Keep looking. Sooner or later you'll come across one that feels so right for you personally that you won't have to worry about spending enough time with it; the problem will become instead making time to set it aside to do other things you're supposed to do. :)

Great link, thanks!

user1397
July 13th, 2015, 08:59 PM
It's not really weird. You are finding out where you are at now and what you like. That's a good thing.

I understand the frustration. Sometimes one needs to just plod through learning what is necessary, to reach a goal. I liked chemistry as subject in high school, and almost studied Chemical Technology in secondary school, (as an adult). But, I choose another path (that was a good choice for me, as it turns out). But like you, when I got to studying organic chemistry, I hated it. Where I am at today, I have no need for that knowledge in my work. ... (this, just from my experience).

My best.
Thank you for the words of encouragement, I appreciate it.