PDA

View Full Version : Java application needs notification on USB device connection/disconnection

lyf
July 1st, 2015, 06:39 AM
Hi Experts,

I am developing a JAVA application which requires notification on USB device arrival/removal.

How to achieve the same ?

Can I register any callback for the same ?

lisati
July 1st, 2015, 09:08 AM
Thread moved to Programming Talk.

kostkon
July 1st, 2015, 03:31 PM
Hi Experts,

I am developing a JAVA application which requires notification on USB device arrival/removal.

How to achieve the same ?

Can I register any callback for the same ?
If you only want to check for disks then you could use the D-Bus interface of UDisks. You'll also also need to install the java bindings (libdbus-java package.)

If you want to check for USB devices in general, you'll need udev. udev does not provide a D-Bus Interface and there aren't any Java bindings available. Probably the only option is to use libudev and thus you'll need to have your Java app call some C code.

You'll be able to register callbacks in both cases.

There is also the option of creating a udev rule and doing some tricks with that, but it will require the extra step of installing the udev rule (copying the file to a system folder.)

Hope that helps.

lyf
July 2nd, 2015, 03:28 PM
Hi kostkon,

In Libudev, I tried the sample code but it seems like continously polling the device arrival and removal notification. It doesn't seems to be straight forward like udev rules file execution.

I tried with udev rules file addition. I am able to trigger an application or execute something on device arrival but is it possible to send the IPC to the JAVA application regarding the same ?

Regards,
Lyf