PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ASUS laptop failed to boot Ubuntu 14.04.2 from DVD

kyle50
June 30th, 2015, 09:50 PM
So, first let me say this is my first time trying to use any linux distro. I dug around my compuer's bios and set "secure boot" to disabled, as well as adding boot from the disc drive to the boot options list as second priority. I restarted the machine, and a screen asking whether I intended to boot from the DVD (ubuntu) or SSD (Windows 8.1) and I selected ubuntu. This is where things went wrong, and I recieved an error screen containing the following:

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

File: \ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr

Info: The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

Anyway, I checked the contents of the DVD to make sure the iso formatted correctly, and to the best of my knowledge the files are fine; the Ubuntu installer bit that can be opened within Windows works fine.

As a side note, I would have already tried to burn the disc again and see if that fixes the problem, but I cannot get my computer to erase the disc (a DVD RW disc) for the life of me, and would rather not have to use another disc unless absolutely necessary.

coffeecat
June 30th, 2015, 10:13 PM
Closed. Duplicate here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2284621