PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] valgrind problem

mark allyn
June 29th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Hello everyone,

I installed valgrind on a 14.04 ubuntu box. I removed a previous version using apt-get remove --purge command. The new installation appears to be correct. The man page is there. And, "which valgrind" command shows that the executable is located in /usr/local/bin and cd'ing to that directory and doing a "ls -ail valgrind" shows that it is an executable and appears to have a large number of bytes. I wrote a trivial c program (nu.c) and it runs without a problem. However, when I issue the command "valgrind ./nu" , I immediately get a seg fault. In fact, if I just type "valgrind" I get a seg fault.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Mark Allyn

mark allyn
June 29th, 2015, 10:34 PM
Hello everyone,

Fixed it by ripping out all the valgrind files in /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/include, /usr/local/bin, and /usr/local/lib. Downloaded a fresh .deb doing usual sudo apt-get valgrind. The new install works as expected. BTW, the executable is located in /usr/bin not /usr/local/bin. I point this out, because in some of the google research various authors claim it should be /usr/local/bin. I can tell you from bitter experience that if it's there, it will crash.

Mark Allyn