PDA

View Full Version : 15.04: Login Background != Desktop Background

sanicki
June 28th, 2015, 06:14 PM
After a fresh install of 15.04 my login background remains the default Ubuntu background despite changing my desktop background. Oddly, when I resume after a screen blank the login *does* share the background of my desktop.

Found this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2212279) from which I understand the command to fix it might be:

sudo -u lightdm dbus-launch --exit-with-session gsettings set com.canonical.unity-greeter draw-user-backgrounds true

But that returns:

No protocol specified

(process:11844): dconf-CRITICAL **: unable to create directory '/home/user/.cache/dconf': Permission denied. dconf will not work properly.

(process:11844): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._g_ 2dfile_2derror_2dquark.Code2: Cannot open dconf database: Failed to open file '/home/user/.config/dconf/user': Permission denied

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

EDIT: I have tried deleting the potentially-corrupted .config/dconf/user file but it didn't help.

kostkon
June 28th, 2015, 10:45 PM
For it to work your wallpaper image should be in Pictures and the folder access permissions for Others for that folder be set to Access Files.

Hope that helps.

sanicki
June 29th, 2015, 04:04 AM
For it to work your wallpaper image should be in Pictures and the folder access permissions for Others for that folder be set to Access Files.

Hope that helps.

That was it! I overlooked the permissions on the file. Many thanks.

CantankRus
June 29th, 2015, 04:17 AM
Good to see kostkon's solution worked.

For reference this method works to change gsettings as the lightdm user....

sudo -i
xhost +SI:localuser:lightdm
su lightdm -s /bin/bash
gsettings set com.canonical.unity-greeter draw-user-backgrounds 'true'
exit
exit

You can set a permanent image as the lightdm background that doesn't switch for different users.
ie

sudo -i
xhost +SI:localuser:lightdm
su lightdm -s /bin/bash
gsettings set com.canonical.unity-greeter draw-user-backgrounds 'false'
gsettings set com.canonical.unity-greeter background 'path-to-your-image'
exit
exit