PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 15.04 blank login screen on hybrid graphics laptop - worked fine on 14.10

akos.maroy
June 28th, 2015, 06:08 AM
Hi,

I just upgraded my laptop from 14.10 to 15.04. This is an Asus UX laptop, with hybrid intel / nvidia graphics. On 14.10, all worked fine.

After the upgrade, I get a black X screen after bootup. Interestingly, if I remove the nvidia drivers, I do get a proper login screen, X seems to work, but of course, I can't use the nvidia card with bumblebee :( I tried both nvidia-340 and nvidia-346, but the results are the same.

I wonder if other people has encountered the same issue.

Akos

PS: I can provide X server logs, etc, if needed

nicholas24
June 28th, 2015, 08:39 PM
I had a similar issue with linux mint. To get my nvidia card to comply, I added 'nomodeset quiet splash' to the end of the 'linux' row in the grub entry.

If you don't know how to access the grub bootloader, hold shift on startup and then press 'e' when the menu appears to edit your ubuntu boot entry. Then just find the row that begins with 'linux' and append 'nomodeset quiet splash'.

After, my line looked like this:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-37-generic root=UUID=141f4360-548d-4c7e-a43a-7934b19060fd ro nomodeset quiet splash $vt_handoff
If this works, you can make these changes permanent by using the Grub Customizer tool, which you can install by following the tutorial here (http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2014/04/install-grub-customizer-ubuntu-1404/) or using the steps below.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install grub-customizer
I hope this helps!
Nicholas