PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Desktop is not a Gnome Desktop? (Can't use please help)

mike_smith3
June 25th, 2015, 10:55 PM
The default desktop has a row of items on the side and the functionality isn't what I am accustomed to. So I installed Gnome but it is just another version of that desktop layout. I want a standard Gnome Desktop such as that found in Linux Mint 17.1.. Is that possible?

Edit: I have tried Gnome Class and Gnome Flashback.. Those desktops are too much organization not enough usability... Just icons on a desktop, what was wrong with what worked? I am fairly certain by now Ubuntu doesn't have a regular desktop and I need to go with another distro.

kansasnoob
June 25th, 2015, 11:28 PM
Try Ubuntu Mate:

https://ubuntu-mate.org/vivid/

kerry_s
June 25th, 2015, 11:41 PM
+1 ubuntu-mate 15.04

i recommend 15.04 cause that's when it really starts getting good.

mike_smith3
June 25th, 2015, 11:43 PM
Actually I am starting to like this one.. Don't make fun of me I am old. :)

kerry_s
June 26th, 2015, 12:04 AM
lol
just wait a few minutes, you'll change your mind again. happens to me all the time. :)

grahammechanical
June 26th, 2015, 12:26 AM
Ubuntu Gnome is what Ubuntu would have looked like if the developers had not used the Unity user interface instead of Gnome 3 shell. Years ago the Gnome developers stopped using Gnome 2 Desktop Environment and its Gnome 2 panel and Ubuntu had to follow and use Gnome 3 DE but with Unity instead of Gnome 3 shell.

What you call a "regular desktop" I call old fashioned. I do not think of that old style as classic at all. I must also say, that you are a bit late in complaining. We had all this hate Ubuntu stuff years ago. I had hoped that it had all gone away.

Please remember, your freedom to express an opinion gives me the freedom to disagree and that is when the arguments start. We are not that kind of forum. Have a personal preference by all means but also allow me to have a choice of my own.

m4tic
June 27th, 2015, 06:57 PM
There's a classic fall-back option from the login screen, check it out for a bit and see how it looks. Second option is to try modifying the look with the tweak tool that comes pre-installed on Ubuntu Gnome, well on mine it was.