PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] WHite screen and no mouse at login

Jonners59
June 24th, 2015, 08:57 PM
I tried to boot in to a PC I have not used in 2 weeks and got a white screen instead of the login window I have tried to reinstall the nvidia card drivers (seem to be spending all my time doing this on machines these days) assuming it may be that as I have only found that to be the cause in my google searching, but that does not work either. I have done the apt-get update and upgrade and all the apt-get clean, autoclean and autoremove and the purge nvidia, bumblebee, etc and re installing... But makes no difference. Even tried to reinstall lightdm.....

Also will ONLY install Nvidia-304 and nothing higher even if I select "current". The driver it should be on is 352, the latest.

Any help, please????

Conscious that I have not submitted any outputs or other info, so please advise any cmds or like to help fix this....

Running 15.04 64-bit
linux: 3.19.0-21
Intel Core i7-4820k CPU @3.70Ghz
Nvidia GF108 GeForce GT430

Jonners59
June 25th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Sorted, though still have some desktop issues.

I tried all sorts including changing the bootloader to gdm, nothing made a difference.

I knew that for my card the latest nvidia driver, 352 was also it's latest but as it would not install I force installed it:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-352 -f

Loads fine now.