PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion, what is the best game you have played?

Ty_Scheun
June 23rd, 2015, 09:52 PM
Im looking for new games since im already finished with Minecraft, Terraria, Clash of Clans, Boom Beach, and Cat Clicker (lol)
What is your favorite game?

portalhavoc
June 23rd, 2015, 10:06 PM
Portal! It is a great puzzle game that never gets old.

Kpenguin
June 23rd, 2015, 10:55 PM
I like racing games, so my favorites would be Asphalt 8: Airborne and SuperTuxKart (you can read about the latter via the link at the end of my signature). I also like Mario Kart although I haven't played it in a very long time.

mastablasta
June 24th, 2015, 07:19 AM
Since I have old PC I am mostly into old games. my favourite ones are Morrowind, X-Com: Terror from the deep and Ultima Underworld, NBA 2000, UT2004.

From newer ones I especially liked those Total war series and Galactic civilizations II and Stalker series. Civ 4 is not bad as well. I also play LoL.

I haven't had time to play Skyrim yet. I also missed out on Fallout series and a few oldies i still intend to play such as Gothic series and System Shock. I just don't have the time anymore. at best I have 30 mins to play some LoL.

But lately I've reserved the 30 mins a day for a replay of Arx Fatalis (which is basically a tribute to Ultima Underworld).

bytr
June 24th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Blast Corps is one of my favorite games. This is the first game I've played, and this will be included in Rare Replay to be released on August 4.

Habitual
June 24th, 2015, 04:15 PM
My current favorite is python. ;)

michael-piziak
June 26th, 2015, 01:40 AM
My favorite games are emualtion games.
But, this is a great free game in the Software Center: 0 A.D.

Welly Wu
June 26th, 2015, 10:58 PM
My most favorite SteamOS + GNU/Linux PC game is Sid Meier's Civilization V: Complete Edition with all of the extra DLCs. I love the turn based strategy and the combat tactics and I love the ability to replay this PC game by choosing a different world leader and the size and pace of the world. No other PC game has nearly as many hours put into it. I still play this PC game from time to time. They say that Civilization IV was better, but I disagree. Civilization V has enough compelling new features that keeps me hooked. There are literally a million different ways to play this PC game over a long period of time. This was the best PC game purchase that I have ever made yet.

echotech2
June 27th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Solitaire

MartyBuntu
June 27th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Of all time?

The Half Life series.

m4tic
June 27th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Well after Super Mario, Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater.

jeff127
June 29th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Im looking for new games since im already finished with Minecraft, Terraria, Clash of Clans, Boom Beach, and Cat Clicker (lol)
What is your favorite game?

Buy Tropico 5 (http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/03/04/viva-el-presidente-tropico-5-hitting-ps4-24th-april/) for whatever platform you've got. It's like Sim City but you're a dictator of a small and fictitious South American Island. Great political humour and the funniest voice actors I've heard in a video game since Clayfighter on Nintendo 64. I grew up with Dune ii and Tiberian Sun and I don't mind playing a city building sim on console. Try it and spread the word! Tropico is mainly available via digital download (averages about 5GB, obviously not enough to fill a bluray).

vq1
June 30th, 2015, 09:44 PM
Since I have old PC I am mostly into old games. my favourite ones are Morrowind, X-Com: Terror from the deep and Ultima Underworld, NBA 2000, UT2004.

From newer ones I especially liked those Total war series and Galactic civilizations II and Stalker series. Civ 4 is not bad as well. I also play LoL.

I haven't had time to play Skyrim yet. I also missed out on Fallout series and a few oldies i still intend to play such as Gothic series and System Shock. I just don't have the time anymore. at best I have 30 mins to play some LoL.

But lately I've reserved the 30 mins a day for a replay of Arx Fatalis (which is basically a tribute to Ultima Underworld).

Elder Scrolls Online FTW! For nostalgia sake Ill say that Morrowind is my fav though.

Of all time?

The Half Life series.

Great game series.

I am new to Ubuntu, are you guys playing all these games on Ubuntu?

mastablasta
July 2nd, 2015, 08:09 AM
i play on Linux but i think the ones i mentioned can easilly be played in UButnu. i know morrowind runs well. Oblivion is also platinum in wine.

i am not sure i am even remotelly interested in TES online, mostly because if i did want to play TES with someone else i would like to play it with select few not with a crowd. also i was hoping they owuld improve their AI to be what they wanted it to be in oblivion. with MMO games there is not much need for an AI - it is also difficult to make it work with all the normal "inteligence" arround.

kurja
July 2nd, 2015, 09:19 AM
I am new to Ubuntu, are you guys playing all these games on Ubuntu?

Half life is available for linux on steam, so yes.

Kerbal Space Program wasn't mentioned here yet, it's a wonderful game and available for linux on steam / on the kerbalspaceprogram website.

And anyone who played Dungeon Master (or eye of the beholder or any of the spin offs / sequels) back in the day is going to love Legend of Grimrock, also available for linux on steam.

Jesus_Valdez
July 5th, 2015, 03:39 AM
I don't game much but I spent unholy amount of hours on Diablo 2

mips
July 5th, 2015, 06:34 PM
The Thief series (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_(series)) with the exception of the last one released in 2014 which is a pile of manure.
The Witcher series (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher#Video_games).

DCO
July 5th, 2015, 07:15 PM
If your looking for MMOs, Ryzom still has better graphics than MineCraft, and runs better on Linux than Windows IMO. The only thing I really don't like about that game is their business model. However, if I can find people more experienced/talented than myself that would be interested in showing them how it's done, I have a few ideas since most of it is open source and creative commons now.

Vikingberry
July 8th, 2015, 01:46 PM
The Fallout Series is beautiful, I've logged about 1k hours on fallout 3, I'm currently playing through 1,2 and 3 again before 4 comes out.

user1397
July 10th, 2015, 12:37 PM
I guess by best I interpret that as played the most or had most fun with. That would probably be a tie between lord of the rings online (before any expansion packs), halo 1-3 but especially the first one before xbox live was out and I would system link with friends and had a blast.

Runner ups would be the command and conquer series, especially red alert 2, battle for middle earth (the first one), stronghold series, rome total war, pharaoh, grand theft auto vice city, FIFA, street fighter 4, and the rock band series.

Nowadays I don't really play much anymore, just get bored easily with them, it's really odd actually.

scriptkitten_
August 9th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Telnet mtrek.com 1701

benrob0329
August 10th, 2015, 04:54 PM
MINETEST!!! Dont forget to mod it!

SantaFe
August 10th, 2015, 11:49 PM
Euro Truck Simulator 2 on Steam! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guCOI3F5X5E

linuxyogi
August 11th, 2015, 02:55 AM
Tom Clancy's hawx.

Wadim_Korneev
August 13th, 2015, 09:32 AM
That would be Mario Kart 64. The memories is brings sometimes bring a tear to my eyes. Life was simpler back then. A group of friends or my mum and dad would gather around just to enjoy the simplicities in life. A favorite track that we all enjoyed was Rainbow Road because of it's soothing music and because the track was rather long, we could enjoy the music more. That game brought my crying cousin from tears of sadness to tears of laughter and joy. We would all laugh at our mistakes and overall enjoy the game for what it is. We were somewhat competitive but not to the point of anger. There are other games out there that bring the same feelings but not the same as the old classics.

montag dp
August 14th, 2015, 07:54 PM
That would be Mario Kart 64. The memories is brings sometimes bring a tear to my eyes. Life was simpler back then. A group of friends or my mum and dad would gather around just to enjoy the simplicities in life. A favorite track that we all enjoyed was Rainbow Road because of it's soothing music and because the track was rather long, we could enjoy the music more. That game brought my crying cousin from tears of sadness to tears of laughter and joy. We would all laugh at our mistakes and overall enjoy the game for what it is. We were somewhat competitive but not to the point of anger. There are other games out there that bring the same feelings but not the same as the old classics.I love that game too. The only games my wife and I play these days are old N64 and Gamecube games (we still have the consoles). The one thing that I really dislike about Mario Kart 64 is that the computer players cheat. You can boost ahead of them with a golden mushroom, drive perfectly after that, and they will be right on your tail again within a few seconds. And it happens every time, so it's not like they just happened to get a mushroom of their own. And if you're playing two players and the human players are in first and second place, the computers will be constantly coming up behind #2. That part almost ruins the game for me. But the Block Fort and Double Deck battle stages are definitely the best in any of the Mario Kart games.

As for me, I think my favorite games of all time are either the first Halo or Metroid Prime. I guess I stopped buying new games around 2004 or something like that.

help_me2
August 17th, 2015, 03:05 AM
My favorite game isn't a video game. It's pinball. They do make pinball video games, but it's not the same as the real thing.

deadflowr
August 17th, 2015, 08:55 PM
My favorite game isn't a video game. It's pinball. They do make pinball video games, but it's not the same as the real thing.

Indeed, computers are cry babies when you try to kick, lift, slam, or punch them.

mystics
August 18th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. It definitely shows its age now (being over 10 years old), but I still find it to be very fun to play. It also has one of the best stories and most memorable cast of characters I've seen in a game. Overall, I haven't found a game that managed to be that engaging in both the gameplay and story and stick in my mind, as far as games are concerned, as much as that one.

That said, games like BioShock, Portal 2, and BioShock Infinite came very close. Twilight Princess, The Witcher, Skyrim, and Xenoblade Chronicles all did the best at getting me completely lost in the game's world, and I'll never turn down an opportunity to play Smash Bros., Mario Kart, or BlazBlue with friends. Still, among all those games and various draws, The Sands of Time remains my overall favorite.

And now I just realize I gave far more than the specified number of games. Oh well.

QIII
August 18th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Has to be that last baseball game of the season back in '73.

We were up by 1 in the bottom of the ninth, but the best part of our opponent's batting order was coming to the plate.

I was out in Left. Marty "Chump" Wiggins was in Center. Steve "Four Eyes" Campbell was in Right. At home was our catcher, Randy "Dumplin'" Frost. On the bags were Pat "Paddy" McInerny at First, Dave "Booger" Collins at Second and Billy-Bob "Billy-Bob" Cummins at Third. Horatio "Psycho" Berger was at Short.

John "Buddy" Helm stood on the mound.

First up for our opponents was Tom "Paul Bunyan" Monroe. Huge, knotted sinew and muscle rippled in his arms. A chest full of hair as thick as a shag carpet peeked out from under his jersey. It was widely rumored that he could break a bat with his bare hands and use the sharp edges for a tooth pick. Dumb as post, but boy that fella could hit. He'd knock the hide clean off the ball and set it sailing for a country mile. He had a mean streak to him, though. He just loved to hit line drives straight back at the pitcher, about chest high. Many was the ambulance that had arrived to take away a poor slinger to the coroner after Tom Monroe took his turn at bat.

But Buddy was cool as a cucumber, like always. He stepped up to the rubber, shook off the first couple of signals from the catcher and then nodded. He stood up tall, rolled his neck and shoulders, took a deep breath and started his wind up.

<We're sorry. This program has been edited to fit the time allocated.>

So that's how we won. To this day I still can't believe I made that throw from deep left.

We all went to see Dumplin' at the hospital that night. Both legs in casts and a big dressing wound around his head like a turban. He was in pretty good spirits, considering the circumstances, and had fewer teeth in his smile than he had started out with that morning. But he didn't care. Neither did we. He was a hero.

As we were getting ready to leave, Dumplin' looked up at me with the one eye that wasn't swollen shut. "Good throw, Casanova!" He smiled. "Next time, throw it to someone else."

obake2
August 18th, 2015, 08:08 AM
My all tie favorite game is 0 A.D (http://play0ad.com/) and Super Mario War (http://smw.supersanctuary.net)(PS: SMW needs new maintainers/developers since the last one left this world)

http://play0ad.com/

http://smw.supersanctuary.net/site/

https://code.google.com/p/supermariowar/

https://code.google.com/p/supermariowar-android/

Petro Dawg
August 21st, 2015, 01:03 AM
Even though I logged 1000's of hours on revolutionary SNES games from the 90's (and many of those again on various emulators), my all time favorite game is one native to Linux. Not so much for the story, graphics, or game-play (which are all good), but for the great people from around the world that I've met and played with cooperatively on a little MMORPG know as Ryzom (http://ryzom.com/). If you haven't given it a try, it is definitely worth a look.

Welly Wu
August 30th, 2015, 12:31 PM
1. Sid Meier's Civilization V: Complete Edition
2. Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth including all current DLCs
3. The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief Deluxe Edition
4. Bastion
5. Transistor

Old favorite: Star Wars Galaxies Starter Kit with the SWG EMU or Bloodfin EMU

KeyKobra
August 31st, 2015, 09:27 AM
I found Shadow of The Colossus very enjoyable at that time, when it first came out on the ps2, but the best game i've ever player was Portal 2.

RichardET
August 31st, 2015, 11:42 AM
I prefer Commander Keene. I like Chess too, but can never beat the computer.

Madheisen
August 31st, 2015, 01:20 PM
Lineage II, the game is 12 years old currently and since it's the one that I've played too many years in a row, it just can't get out of my head.

SebastianoS
September 4th, 2015, 10:49 AM
It's a tie between Age of Empires II and Baldur's gate II