PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_mate] Cooling Fans running wild after Ubuntu update

germanix
June 21st, 2015, 06:34 PM
I have been running Ubuntu 14.04 with Unity for over a year now on my laptop. I could never hear the fans coming on. Over this weekend I installed a bunch of up-dates to 14.04 and immediately thereafter the fans would come on full speed as soon as the OS bootet, and remain at full speed all the time. This was driving me crazy. I installed 14.04 new. During the live session and after the installation the fans did not come on, but again after the latest updates were installed, I had the same problem. I got so frustrated I installed Ubuntu Mate 15.04 and the same problem came up again. I also tried Peppermint OS which is based on Ubuntu 14.04 and here the fans remained quiet. So I have come to the conclusion that some package in the latest Ubuntu updates are causing this problem.
Is any one else having this problem, and more importantly is there a fix for this? This fan noise is really DRIVING ME NUTS.
I really only use this laptop for emails, internet and office. It is a Lenovo Thinkpad 11e with a Intel Celeron quad core. I do not believe this to be a hardware problem as I have been using this machine for some time and have never encountered this problem before. I only run Linux, at the moment Ubuntu Mate 15.04.
Would be very glad if someone could give me some help or advice. Thank you in advance.