PDA

View Full Version : Remove XUbuntu Desktop Envoirment

Miral_Hassni
June 19th, 2015, 12:12 AM
I have installed Ubuntu 14.04 Server 64bit installation time I select XUbuntu Desktop for some reasons of new in linux know little bit get commands using terminal know i need to remove desktop envoirmnet from my server because mostly people telling me desktop not good servers

William_Parks_Walk
June 19th, 2015, 12:42 AM
http://askubuntu.com/questions/511463/can-i-convert-ubuntu-desktop-14-04-to-server

grahammechanical
June 19th, 2015, 12:52 AM
because mostly people telling me desktop not good servers

You have not installed Ubuntu Desktop edition or even Xubuntu Desktop Edition. You have installed Ubuntu server edition and then added a desktop environment. That is not the same as installing Ubuntu Desktop Edition. By adding a desktop environment you have not taken anything away from Ubuntu server edition. You have made it a little easier for yourself.

I will accept that Ubuntu Desktop edition does not make a good server machine because it does not come with server software but we can add that kind of software if we want to. In the same way Ubuntu Server edition does not make a good desktop machine because it does not come with the desktop software, But we can add that kind of software if we need to.

It is also a fact that whether we install a Desktop or Server edition we will also get a lot of software that we will never use because we do not need it. That does not stop us from making good use of Ubuntu as a desktop machine or a server machine.

One of the reasons why Server editions do not come with desktop environments is because the machines do not usually have a graphic adapter installed. So, everything is done using the command line. Your machine has a graphic adapter does it not? So, where is the problem?

Regards.

v3.xx
June 19th, 2015, 01:01 AM
If you have installed xubuntu desktop, here is the package list of things to remove.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/xubuntu-desktop

Easier to reinstall