PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System not Loading in After Update

nick199
June 17th, 2015, 03:23 AM
Hello,

This is my first post, as I am just now entering into the world of Linux. I recently installed 15.04 onto an old dell latitude I had laying around. It worked very well, until I decided to download and install updates. After doing so, I was prompted to restart and did. After shutting down, the power light returned, but the screen stayed full off. I then hard restarted the system, and was greeted by the ubuntu loading dots. After entering my encryption key for the first sector, it continued to load fine. After entering the second section key, most of the screen went blank. All that was visible was the box for entering my key and the loading dots. I was forced to dban my HD and reinstall. This time around, I was more careful with updates. I only allowed necessary updates and decided not to update a proprietary graphics driver I thought might be the issue. I still had precisely the same issue. This time I hit control c after my screen went blank, the regular screen came back...but has been loading in for many hours. Please help.

Additional info: Free space was overwritten upon install. System has some minor RAM issues, they weren't affecting performance. I also encrypted my home folder. Before this update, I had installed corrected Eng Lang files. I did also install a broadcom wireless driver.

nick199
June 17th, 2015, 03:30 AM
P.S. Updates had finished installing before restart. I received no errors from the system.

emma7
June 17th, 2015, 03:48 AM
Because I'm a genius and forgot my login, I took more time on creating a login than thinking of what the issue might be. Ha. I talked to a friend of mine, and he said it might be encryption messing up, or even just that said specific computer has an issue with said version of Linux. Try an older version- such as my personal favorite (14.04), or even Lubuntu or Debian. My idea had been maybe the updates corrupted something, but you specified that it had fully installed. So- yeah.