PDA

View Full Version : 64 bit variants and networking

Mathew_Threadgill
June 15th, 2015, 11:32 PM
So I have been trying to install a 64 bit variant of Ubuntu through several releases now (I think since 12.04) yet I am still stuck with a 32 bit installation. I'll start off with 12.04 (again I think) with this release the 64 bit variant did not even see ANY of my networking hardware. The subsequent releases have at least seen my hardware and 15.04 at saw both my hardware and network. But even with 15.04 my computer still will not connect (wired or wireless) to my network. This problem has persisted through all those releases and I am now on my 2nd wireless adapter (a third is supposed to delivered today). Each of these adapter has been of different chipsets and manufacturers. And seeing as a computer these days is pretty useless without the ability to connect to a network/internet I am always left abandoning my attempts to returning to 32 bit installation. Now I understand that 32 bit variants still exist so as to support old machines/hardware. However my computer is of all modern components and should easily run a 64 bit OS. So what gives? I don't understand what the issue is.

oldos2er
June 16th, 2015, 12:51 AM
Please list your hardware specs, particularly the networking hardware that's giving you problems.