PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No screen display after Ubuntu 14.04 updates June 2015

angel mike
June 12th, 2015, 10:21 PM
After installing updates yesterday for Ubuntu 14.04 there is no screen display on startup.
Is there a way round this or do I have to go through the whole process of using the original disc and reinstall the basic 14.04 version - and several additional commands to get the system working again ?

jhecn
June 12th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Hi Angel Mike,
what do you mean by screen display?
No GRUB ?
No login screen ?
No screen after login ?

And could you describe what you see ? From my experience, "no screen" was "only mouse and background picture after a successful login".

angel mike
June 13th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Hi jhecn
The screen is just grey with the pointer.
I recently changed from Windows and had some problems with getting a screen display - see my last posting 'Ubuntu not starting up after installing' made several weeks ago.
Thanks for replying.

ubfan1
June 13th, 2015, 05:32 PM
If you select the recovery choice in grub can you get a screen? It sounds like a video problem, so that shouldn't require a system reinstallation, just get the drivers/config files sorted out.

angel mike
June 13th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Thanks for that lead 'ubfan1'
I am not familiar with the grub menu - how do I get it ?
On boot up I can get the 'systems setup ' by pressing the F2 key rapidly.
Thanks for replying.

ubfan1
June 13th, 2015, 10:44 PM
With only one operating system on a machine, grub normally does not display. You may force the display by holding down the shift key at startup, then you get the grub screen of boot choices.

angel mike
June 14th, 2015, 03:14 PM
The shift key has no effect unfortunately. I had to reinstall using the original DVD to get into the grub menu to change the driver option. Not very impressed. Going to try the 15.04 version rather than trying any updates on the 14.04.
Regards
Mike