PDA

View Full Version : Apple recalls faulty batteries

RAV TUX
August 3rd, 2006, 01:59 AM
It appears Dell isn't the only one with exploding batteries:

Apple recalls faulty batteries

by Tash Shifrin (http://www.computerweekly.com/authors/articleauthor.aspx?liArticleID=217321)
Tuesday 1 August 2006
Apple has issued a worldwide recall of faulty rechargeable batteries for use with 15-inch MacBook Pro laptop computer.
The company said the batteries, sold between February and May this year, did not meet “our high standards for battery performance” and would be replaced free of charge.
But Apple added that the affected batteries – bearing model number A1175 and a 12-digit serial number ending with U7SA, U7SB or U7SC – were not a safety risk and users could continue with their current laptop battery until a replacement arrived.
The Apple recall follows a string of battery problems hitting rival laptop manufacturers. In May, Hewlett-Packard was forced to recall more than 15,000 laptop batteries worldwide because a fault made them a fire hazard.
The move came six months after the HP recalled 135,000 lithium ion rechargeable battery packs after faulty devices overheated, melting users’ laptops.
In December, hardware giant Dell recalled 22,000 laptop batteries, because of fire risks from overheating. The firm received three reports of batteries overheating, with damage to a tabletop, a desktop and minor damage to personal effects.

prizrak
August 3rd, 2006, 01:59 PM
Maybe they should stop outsourcing their hardware to slave labor factories and move the production to actual skilled workers.....

mips
August 3rd, 2006, 02:32 PM
Maybe they should stop outsourcing their hardware to slave labor factories and move the production to actual skilled workers.....

We are our own worst enemies as we are constantly looking for cheaper stuff.

prizrak
August 3rd, 2006, 08:15 PM
We are our own worst enemies as we are constantly looking for cheaper stuff.

Except Apple is not cheap at all. I agree with the statement though, not many in the west care about HOW can you get a bunch of stuff from Walmart for very little money as long as you do.

Brunellus
August 3rd, 2006, 09:39 PM
It appears Dell isn't the only one with exploding batteries:
It's about time. Last I heard, the complaints on these batteries centred around their rather explosive failures.

AlphaMack
August 3rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
The batteries aren't the only things wrong with the new Apple notebooks.

www.appledefects.com

RAV TUX
August 3rd, 2006, 11:05 PM
The batteries aren't the only things wrong with the new Apple notebooks.

www.appledefects.com (http://www.appledefects.com)

Great link, This is why my wife and I bought a Fujitsu they are much more expensive but at least made in Japan. Where skilled labor is given an adequate wage.

Brunellus
August 4th, 2006, 07:24 PM
the level of wage is not necessarily a guarantee of a quality product. The wages paid to the guys who built my Chevy are tremendous, but the car itself has been plagued by a number of quality-control problems for a good long while.

Judgments based on nominally-reported and dollar-denominated wages don't make much sense to me, especially where those wages are not indexed to local prices.

prizrak
August 4th, 2006, 08:48 PM
the level of wage is not necessarily a guarantee of a quality product. The wages paid to the guys who built my Chevy are tremendous, but the car itself has been plagued by a number of quality-control problems for a good long while.

Judgments based on nominally-reported and dollar-denominated wages don't make much sense to me, especially where those wages are not indexed to local prices.

From what I learned in school aparently it's not about the wage but the education level of workers. Also when it comes to your Chevy it's more of a problem with actual design and materials used to build it.