PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't fully boot Ubuntu.

drew31
June 12th, 2015, 01:35 AM
Installed Ubuntu today (twice, first time I didn't get passed a purple screen). Now I can boot up until it asks for me to "enter passphrase" but the problem is whenever this prompt activates, my keyboard and mouse stop functioning... Every time. Same problem happens when I enter recovery mode. Help!

v3.xx
June 12th, 2015, 02:23 AM
This an older computer? Using a usb keyboard/mouse? Look for a BIOS setting for the keyboard if this is so. Called something like 'Legacy USB Devices'.

drew31
June 22nd, 2015, 06:42 PM
No, the computer is brand new with USB keyboard and mouse, I also tried switching around the legacy/ UEFI settings in bios but it dosent seem to help anything.

Bashing-om
June 22nd, 2015, 07:40 PM
drew31; And

Additional thought ; in bios enable "plug and play" . My system's bios - Phoenix - has this setting, and I must enable it for USB mouse .

it all begins in bios

Geoffrey_Arndt
June 24th, 2015, 04:56 AM
A candidate for nomodeset boot parameter? What are hardware specs especially graphics info?

Bucky Ball
June 24th, 2015, 05:51 AM
A candidate for nomodeset boot parameter?

Yes, it is, so let's try that.

When you boot to the list of kernels, highlight the one you want to boot and hit 'e' to edit. Find the line that ends:

quiet splash

Or any one or combination of those two words. At the end, add 'nomodeset', so the end of that line looks like:

quiet splash nomodeset

Follow the instructions at the bottom of the screen to save and reboot. Any luck?

This is not a permanent change. Once you reboot the 'nomodeset' option will be gone, so if it does work, let us know and we can show you how to make the nomodeset option permanent.